More Chimera questions/annoyances

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
1. Is there any way to get the browser to be ready for URL input immediately after you open a new window?

I want to be able to type very quickly {cmd}+n,www.myurl.com,{return} and have it go to that page. IE does this well. In Chimera you have to add a step ({cmd}+l) to do this and it's annoying.

2. What's the matter with the freaking history bar?

Every time I use the History sidebar, Chimera grinds to a halt. Sometimes I even have to force-quit to regain control. History is therefore unusable.

3. What about predictive entry?

Why does Microsoft have a monopoly on this useful function?

4. There should be an option for a text only toolbar with the URL box intact.

I hate having to open up the "Location" drop menu to start typing, and I hate icons in my menu bar.

5. Why does dragging a url to the desktop save the link and not the target by default?

Is there any way to change this?

6. Why isn't there a default target location for option-click (to download a file)?

Do I really have to open a save dialog for every file I download!!!?

A download manager would be very, very nice indeed.

All of these points demonstrate why IE excels in useability, even though it is slower. To me, the time I save in avoiding clicks and dialog boxes when entering urls or downloading files is well worth the extra microsecond taken in rendering a page.

I've been using Chimera almost without exception for the last two weeks straight, and as of this moment I'm going back to IE until these annoyances are fixed.

PS I am sending this feedback to the chimera site. I just thought I'd air it out here first.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Here are some answers:

1. Disable home page loading on new windows. The location field will then be selected upon opening new windows.

2. Chimera is still a beta-quality work-in-progress and far from complete. It was actualy only recently that the history panel was hooked up; so, there are sure to be bugs. If you are patient, I believe you will find that the app is not completely locked up. It just takes a very long time to load some history date.

3. I'm not sure what you mean.

4. This is a limitation of the way Apple designed the toolbar widget. I'm not sure there is a way around this without some weird mangling into a custom toolbar subclass.

5. I'm not sure what you mean. I just dragged the link to Digital Hub to the desktop. It created a webloc file to that link's address. I double clicked it and the Digital Hub loaded. Perhaps this has changed in a more recent nightly. Is this not how it should work?

6. That's on a long to-do list. I believe some improvements are actually planned for that in the near future.

[quote]All of these points demonstrate why IE excels in useability, even though it is slower.<hr></blockquote>And OwmniWeb even more. OmniWeb's superior native interface and browsing options more than make up for its slightly slower rendering speed and occasional CSS glitch.

[ 12-06-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 12
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    That's a good idea! Could you tell me how to do the java commands? I do not know Java.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    It's JavaScript, not Java. Here are three of them:

javascript:history.back(1)

javascript:history.forward()

javascript:location.reload()

I'm not familiar with the stop one. Beides, I just use command-period.

edit: damn! you beat me by one minute!

[ 12-06-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by tonton:

<strong>Now I'm going to clean up the interface by replacing the bookmark icon with a blank icon so there will simply be a space there. I've got to find where it is first... probably in the Navigator package contents?</strong><hr></blockquote>Yep, like with any true Mac OS X app, the files for graphics and icons are in the package's Contents/Resources directory. As you can see below, I've replaced Chimera's bright, gaudy icons with OmniWeb's smoother, simpler icons. If you have the developer tools installed, you can further modify things like rounding the address bar. You can also delete the site favicon altogether if you want.

If you just want to remove the generic site icon, delete or replace the globe_ico.tif file with a blank image.