1st iPod questions

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I just got my first iPod (30Gig Video) and have a few questions:

1) What is the best method to encode your CD's? I have been using MP3 320KBs which may use up my computer's disk space and might be overkill. I like the idea of saving MP3's to a CD that can be played back in a MP3-CD player but if the AAC or other encoding is better, I would use it over MP3.

2) I've got a CRT TV. How good is the video playback from the iPod to a CRT TV? I'm asking this because I don't want to buy the iPod to TV cable if the video playback isn't good.

3) How easily does this particluar iPod scratch (screen and plastic). The reason I ask is that I left on the plastic face plate protector from Apple.

(And technically, this is my second iPod but the first one I took back after 1 day).

Thanks to all who answer.

- Mark

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    1. iTunes' MP3 encoder is very poor; it's circa 1999 technology. It's AAC encoder, however is excellent. Many people feel that 192KBps VBR AAC is the "sweet spot".

iLounge has an iPod Storage Calculator.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

1. iTunes' MP3 encoder is very poor; it's circa 1999 technology. It's AAC encoder, however is excellent. Many people feel that 192KBps VBR AAC is the "sweet spot".

iLounge has an iPod Storage Calculator.

Thanks a lot Galley!

- Mark