Apple's DVD Studio Pro

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
will this work on my iMac G4 lcd??? would love more control over the dvd's i make, but this is fairly expensive and at apple they say you need a powermac G4....would love to try this on my iMac so i wouldn't have to think tower just yet.....anybody using this and FCP 3 on an iMac??? thanks g

ps i know FCP works on an iMac....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>will this work on my iMac G4 lcd??? would love more control over the dvd's i make, but this is fairly expensive and at apple they say you need a powermac G4....would love to try this on my iMac so i wouldn't have to think tower just yet.....anybody using this and FCP 3 on an iMac??? thanks g

ps i know FCP works on an iMac....</strong><hr></blockquote>

i've never used it on an imac, but it should work fine as long as you have an ample amount of ram. if you can run photoshop and fcp, you'll have no problem.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    the reason for my concern is the mention of 4x apg at the apple site...the iMac comes with 2x apg....any thoughts?
  • Reply 3 of 8

<strong>the reason for my concern is the mention of 4x apg at the apple site...the iMac comes with 2x apg....any thoughts?</strong><hr></blockquote>

i can run it on my 466 G4 tower at work, which i believe is 2x AGP, i think you'll be fine. but if your still concerned, just give apple a call.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    thanks....

ps....liked your book

pss...wish i had a tower and used dvd studio at work..sigh

g

[ 12-06-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    [quote]Originally posted by running with scissors:

<strong>

i can run it on my 466 G4 tower at work, which i believe is 2x AGP, i think you'll be fine. but if your still concerned, just give apple a call.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, the 466 G4 is among the first generation of PowerMacs to have 4x AGP. All of the earlier ones with AGP had 2x - 350, 400, 450, and 500 MHz.

I would be more concerned with bus speed and cache than AGP speed. AGP 4x is only about 30% faster than AGP 2x (or so I've heard). But if you had an L3 cache, a faster 133 MHz bus, or dual processors (or any combination of those), the performance will increase a lot. My dual 500 MHz G4, for example, outperforms the 800 MHz iMac in the computer lab in my dorm.
  • Reply 6 of 8

<strong>pss...wish i had a tower and used dvd studio at work..sigh </strong><hr></blockquote>

thanks...unfortunately i haven't actually got to do much more than toy around with yet. i'll probably use it more for freelance projects than real work. but it is nice.

[quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>No, the 466 G4 is among the first generation of PowerMacs to have 4x AGP. All of the earlier ones with AGP had 2x - 350, 400, 450, and 500 MHz.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i stand corrected
  • Reply 7 of 8
    It works fine on my G4/450. I don't see how the graphics card bus speed would have any effect, except perhaps in the preview mode. And in that case you mainly use that mode to make sure the links work. I mux everything to get a true preview.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    yeah it'll work fine. I used a 15" imac to burn something like 75 dvds over the summer with final cut pro 3 and dvd studio pro 1.5

worked like a charm.

additionally, i only got 2 or 3 coasters over the summer. This is really great if you're buying the media in bulk, but if you're paying $5/disc, one failure is just a waste of time and money. Especially time. Eventually i just got into the habit of restarting dvdsp for each burn. BUT, if you're going to drop the money for it, maybe try it out first. It is NOT AT ALL intuative. I mean, once you sort of get rolling, it isn't so bad, but it's pretty difficult to start. See if you know anybody that could sort of explain it to you, that'll help.

-Felipe