AppleTV Video formats

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
So from what I hear AppleTV won't play wmv, and avi files? What a waste. Why does apple insit on only allowing theirproducts to play certian file formats, like the ipod with only that weird ipod video format! I was considering getting an appletv until I realized it can't play these formats.

Is it likely that apple will make more video formats available in the future?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    There is already a XVid hack and I'm sure it won't be long untill you can play any format you want. It's just a case of mounting the internal drive to a Mac and installing the codec into the correct folder.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blascock View Post

So from what I hear AppleTV won't play wmv, and avi files? What a waste. Why does apple insit on only allowing theirproducts to play certian file formats, like the ipod with only that weird ipod video format! I was considering getting an appletv until I realized it can't play these formats.

Is it likely that apple will make more video formats available in the future?

There isn't a "weird iPod video format." iPods play H.264 and MPEG-4, two of the most standardized, open formats available. H.264, in particular, is the highest quality format around.

WMV is Microsoft's proprietary codec. Besides, who uses WMV?

AVI is just a wrapper, but usually used for Xvid files—which violate way too many patents to be used in a commercial product.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    blascockblascock Posts: 153member
    Ok my issue is that if I had a windows vista and a media extender or more likely an xbox360 than I could watch any movie file i want, all my avi movie files i've downloaded.

and the reason i ask wmv is because before i got a mac i imported a lot of my homevideos and made movies with windows media player and theyre all in wmv format
  • Reply 4 of 7
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Well, most of us are in that lurch. But, H.264 is the future, so I'll be transcoding/encoding in that format as soon as those 8 Core Mac Pros hit the Apple Store.

Then there's the XVID hack. That approach sounds promising.

Wow...all in Windows Media...on a Mac...STBY.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    That DOES suck.

Well, hopefully, the Xvid hack will also work for WMV. Most NVIDIA chips can play WMV files, so something like that might work.

I wouldn't get my hopes up, though.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

That DOES suck.

Well, hopefully, the Xvid hack will also work for WMV. Most NVIDIA chips can play WMV files, so something like that might work.

I wouldn't get my hopes up, though.

The hack described simply puts the Perian.component in the /Library/Quicktime folder in its normal place on Mac OS X. I can't imagine that putting the Flip4Mac WMV Import.component in the same location wouldn't also work to read non-DRM wmv files.

I also assume that the same Quicktime framework will read the /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components so that the A52Codec.component from the people that do Perian would also work so that AC-3 is available.

I hope to find out soon if I can get to the Apple Store. It was this information I was waiting for to decide to buy.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    blustinablustina Posts: 1member

I copy some cotent as below, this is a good solution to slove the Apple TV's formats problem:

http://www.aovsoft.com/guide/apple-tv-video-format/

Apple TV Video Converter. Apple TV Video Converter is the best software to convert/rip  AVI, MKV, FLV, MP4, VOB, MOV, MTS, etc.  to Apple TV  for watching.

Apple TV DVD Converter is the best converter to convert/rip DVD to Apple TV video format.

Want to watch 1080p Blu-ray on Apple TV 3? Apple TV 3 Blu-ray Ripper can help you convert  Blu-ray to Apple TV 3 supported video format.

If you are interest in Apple TV  converter Ultimate, you can click here. Apple TV  converter Ultimate is a combination video converter, DVD ripper, DVD burner, DRM (digital rights management) remover, online video Downloader/Recorder and file transfer application- Applt TV Video Converter Ultimate offers you a truly one-stop solution for video, audio and DVD files.