XTorrent for Mac question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I downloaded XTorrent a while ago, but wasn't sure about privacy. I emailed the Developer, but didn't recieve a reply. So I deleted the program.

The email was a question asking if all files on my computer, or all files for this user are searchable/retrievable by people using XTorrent?

I looked in XTorrent's preferences, but couldn't find any choices for specifying what files or folders I would allow to be accessible.

I would obviously like to keep personal files private and not searchable, retrievable and/or downloadable by strangers. I would gladly create a folder for sharing movie files, etc. though, as I am able to upload a large amount of GB per month without going over my Internet subscription's free monthly upload limit.

So would I put any shareable files in my Home>Shared folder? or is that only for different users of this computer? When using Limewire, by default, completed downloads are re-directed/located in the Home>Shared folder.

I would like to use XTorrent. But I would like control over what files are accessible to strangers.

Answers please?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    The only way that Xtorrent can share your files is if it makes and uploads torrent descriptions of all those files. Bittorrent works in a very different way to limewire, which uses decentralized tracking. Azureus has a facility for doing decentralized tracking but it's generally not used. So, I don't think Xtorrent will be uploading any of your files. It will only start uploading the files you are downloading.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It will only start uploading the files you are downloading.

As I am downloading the files for the first time? or only start uploading the files that I've downloaded from XTorrent once they've completed downloading? and/or files downloaded from XTorrent that are kept on the computer?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by - Ø®£Z - View Post

As I am downloading the files for the first time? or only start uploading the files that I've downloaded from XTorrent once they've completed downloading? and/or files downloaded from XTorrent that are kept on the computer?

Yes, as soon as you download a part of a file, if that part is needed by someone else it will upload it. That's one of the strengths of Bittorrent because it means you don't have to wait on people having complete files. If you have downloaded torrents and they are still in the download location, it will upload those as long as they are in there if people need them.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    OK. Thx for the answers.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    My first impressions of X-Torrent are very good.

I do get scared I'm going to get busted using Bit-Torrent even though I use it very rarely. I wish I could pay a blanket tax or someone would release a mac friendly all you can eat movie package. How about doing that instead of putting adverts against piracy at the beginning of movies at the theatre?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I live in Canada, so I am not worried lol