MacBook Pro will not sleep

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey guys,

I mentioned this when 10.4.9 was released in hopes of an Apple fix. However, the update didn't solve this one for me.

Within the past month, closing the lid on my MBP does not initiate sleep. I would find the sleep light on (but not pulsing) and the palmrests would be hot when i opened the lid. The only way to put it to sleep is to select "sleep" in the Apple menu and then close the lid.

There is a thread about it here:

http://forums.macnn.com/69/powerbook...g-sleep-needs/

and it looks like quite a few MBP owners are having the same problem. This is a Rev. A 15" machine with the 2.16 Core Duo and 1GB of RAM.

I do have AppleCare, but not sure if this is worth the hassle of sending the machine in.

Anyone else having problems or found a fix?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corkurk View Post

Hey guys,

I mentioned this when 10.4.9 was released in hopes of an Apple fix. However, the update didn't solve this one for me.

Within the past month, closing the lid on my MBP does not initiate sleep. I would find the sleep light on (but not pulsing) and the palmrests would be hot when i opened the lid. The only way to put it to sleep is to select "sleep" in the Apple menu and then close the lid.

There is a thread about it here:

http://forums.macnn.com/69/powerbook...g-sleep-needs/

and it looks like quite a few MBP owners are having the same problem. This is a Rev. A 15" machine with the 2.16 Core Duo and 1GB of RAM.

I do have AppleCare, but not sure if this is worth the hassle of sending the machine in.

Anyone else having problems or found a fix?

Well it sure sounds like a hardware problem. If it is there could be other things causing problems for the future. I highly recommend taking it to your local Apple service tech or sending it in. Good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    corkurkcorkurk Posts: 90member
    Thanks for the advice. Many of the people experiencing the same problem had it happen within a week or so of each other, which led me to believe it was a software problem. I wanted to blame it on the Daylight Savings patch that I installed, but maybe not. I have also read reports that it is an issue with the MBP magnetic latch, so it may be hardware after all.

How long can I expect to be without my machine if I send it in for repair via Applecare? I would rather not be computerless for weeks on end.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    aryayusharyayush Posts: 191member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corkurk

I wanted to blame it on the Daylight Savings patch that I installed, but maybe not

I have a MacBook Pro and I installed that patch too but it did not mess anything.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I had this problem. My Macbook would not sleep completely, nor would it wake. The fan would go and it would get hot. The sleep light was off. Only thing to do was force a shutdown and restart. I searched all over for advice: I reset the pram and power mgmt unit. I reset settings on bluetooth, ethernet wake up, and internet sharing. I replaced plist files. All to no avail.

Then I decided to use the disk utility and repair the hard disk. One of the things it found wrong was the file that is created when the computer goes to sleep. There were other things wrong, too. Anyway, that did it. Problem solved.

My problem started when I replaced my original RAM with an upgrade. The new memory was bad and I immediately had problems with programs shutting down, etc. So I put the original memory back in. All was fine then, but this sleeping problem.

I think the bad memory was responsible for corrupting this sleep image file, and the disk utility fixed it.

I hope this works for you all.

I guess if it doesn't, its not a bad thing to do every now and then anyway.