Mac Pro configs available at Apple store?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Do anyone have any information about Mac Pro configuration typically available at the retail locations?

Specifically I was interested in models less than the $2499 suggested config.

I was looking at the configuration with the 2.0 GHz processors (-$299), and the 160 GB HDD (-$79). It comes out to $2,121.00.

Does Apple allow you to order the configuration in? I need to buy the Mac at the retail store opposed to online.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    I expect they stock the standard configuration, and I would imagine they can do RAM, hard drive, and possibly video card configurations, but I highly doubt they can do processor requests in-house. If you get one, expect to have your order taken and allow a few days for it to come in.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flail View Post

Do anyone have any information about Mac Pro configuration typically available at the retail locations?

Specifically I was interested in models less than the $2499 suggested config.

I was looking at the configuration with the 2.0 GHz processors (-$299), and the 160 GB HDD (-$79). It comes out to $2,121.00.

Does Apple allow you to order the configuration in? I need to buy the Mac at the retail store opposed to online.

You'll have to ask. The only stock configurations that I've seen on the display cards are 2.66/1GB/7300 nVidia and 3.0/2GB/1900 ATI, both with 250GB drives. I think you might be able to order your desired unit though, you might have to wait for it to be shipped in.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    nasusnasus Posts: 3member
    When I bought my MBP last fall at the Apple store they only had the basic stock configurations you see on the Web site before you select any upgrades. If I wanted anything else like a bigger hard drive they said they'd have to order it, you can do that yourself. I'm pretty sure they said they could install additional RAM if I wanted it but I would have to come back to pick it up - I'm way too impatient for that!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Avoid the 2.0

Get the 2.66 refurb. It is *not* refurbished - it's a brand new machine straight from the factory.

If you have cash left over, spend it on RAM - lots and lots of RAM

C.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Avoid the 2.0

Get the 2.66 refurb. It is *not* refurbished - it's a brand new machine straight from the factory.

If you have cash left over, spend it on RAM - lots and lots of RAM

I don't think it's in Apple's interest to sell brand new systems as refurbished. They might be returns or rejects, I've had some Apple reconditioned systems show up in its original box, some in the kraft-colored reconditioned box. They might look brand new, but I'm sure that some of them are cases of buyer's remorse due to the cost or whatever and returned, which can't be legally sold as new anymore.

The problem with that model is that you can't do BTO, the main reason to do BTO here is to get the ATI video, otherwise it's an additional $400 to get that.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think it's in Apple's interest to sell brand new systems as refurbished. They might be returns or rejects, I've had some Apple reconditioned systems show up in its original box, some in the kraft-colored reconditioned box. They might look brand new, but I'm sure that some of them are cases of buyer's remorse due to the cost or whatever and returned, which can't be legally sold as new anymore.

The problem with that model is that you can't do BTO, the main reason to do BTO here is to get the ATI video, otherwise it's an additional $400 to get that.

The refurb Mac Pros have the same build times and are shipped from the far east. Come in the full boxes with shrink wrapped everything. They are quite unlike other Apple refurb products.

You save enough on the refurb to upgrade to the ATI card for free.

C