Spaces and Multiple Monitors

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
How does Spaces work with a dual (or more) screen setup?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I don't know, but I'll guess:

All screens "black out" and the main screen shows the Space-selection interface.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

I don't know, but I'll guess:

All screens "black out" and the main screen shows the Space-selection interface.

Sounds likely.

I was actually thinking in terms of how it relates screens to space: Is there a space that covers both screens, and shows a very wide preview?

It might be cool to be able to do multiple spaces per screen, if you see what I mean?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    The entire desktop covering both monitors is encompassed in a space.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    I think it would be much more useful to have each monitor slide over, as if they were arranged in a row. Then I could easily switch between several different things and put things that needed to be in focus at any point in the middle.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TKN View Post

I think it would be much more useful to have each monitor slide over, as if they were arranged in a row. Then I could easily switch between several different things and put things that needed to be in focus at any point in the middle.

I think that would be problematic if your displays weren't the same size.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King Chung Huang View Post

I think that would be problematic if your displays weren't the same size.

Yeah I can see that being a problem. I was thinking of getting 2 monitors at first, but I bought a 23" Cinema display and I feel like I have enough room to get everything done comfortably. I guess it depends on what you do though.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    In VirtueDesktops, each virtual screen contains both the main and secondary screen. In Spaces, I would like them to be separately configured. This would mean that I can switch virtual desktops on my main screen, while at all times keep a document to read on the secondary screen.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kaboong View Post

In VirtueDesktops, each virtual screen contains both the main and secondary screen. In Spaces, I would like them to be separately configured. This would mean that I can switch virtual desktops on my main screen, while at all times keep a document to read on the secondary screen.

I would say that each screen is its own space. When using Expose on multiple monitors, each monitor is handled independently, so if one screen only has one window open in it while the other screen has a lot, those only get scattered on the one screen. When looking at the preferences for the monitors, they are handled independently as well with resolution, etc. being able to be set independently on each screen. I would assume then that spaces would incorporate the same thing due to how Apple has designed a multiple screen desktop already to work independently of each other. Wow, that is a lot of use of the word independent....