Two Simple Macbook Questions from a Mac Novice

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
1. Is there a way to create a forward delete key/shortcut such as is found on a PC Keyboard, which has both a backspace and forward delete key. The Macbook only has a delete that functions like a backspace and, while I love my new Macbook, I REALLY miss that key.

2. Is there a way to make the Macbook not automatically make the screen dim completely when you start it without power plug. Every time I start it, I have to go to settings and reset the screen. I don't mind it dimming when I'm not using it and it isn't plugged in, but I would like the screen to get brighter when I start typing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poohlp View Post

1. Is there a way to create a forward delete key/shortcut such as is found on a PC Keyboard, which has both a backspace and forward delete key. The Macbook only has a delete that functions like a backspace and, while I love my new Macbook, I REALLY miss that key.

Fn + delete
  • Reply 2 of 7
    poohlppoohlp Posts: 16member
    That sounds easy. Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:

That sounds easy. Thanks!

Get used to using 2 hands for lots of useful things! My computer has 2 "return" keys and dedicated eject button, but no freaking forward delete! And a SINGLE giant mouse button! I know it's been said about a million times, but why sacrifice so much function for a stupid tradition? (Especially since "ctrl" and "alt" have finally arrived)
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

2. Is there a way to make the Macbook not automatically make the screen dim completely when you start it without power plug. Every time I start it, I have to go to settings and reset the screen. I don't mind it dimming when I'm not using it and it isn't plugged in, but I would like the screen to get brighter when I start typing.

Go to System Preferences --> Energy Saver --> Settings for: Battery --> Options tab --> disable everything except the "Show battery status in menu bar" entry. VoilÃ*!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Get used to using 2 hands for lots of useful things! My computer has 2 "return" keys and dedicated eject button, but no freaking forward delete! And a SINGLE giant mouse button! I know it's been said about a million times, but why sacrifice so much function for a stupid tradition? (Especially since "ctrl" and "alt" have finally arrived)

Personally I don't see the problem with a single mouse button. 2 Finger Clicking works fine on Trackpads, and theres no chance of my thumb slipping to the left or right a little and hitting the wrong button. The following keys need to leave the Keyboard though: The Command button on the right, the Return key right next to it, and the second Shift Key on the right. More dedicated system keys could be moved down there freeing up my function keys a bit, especially since I have no use for F7 (which apparently controls a second monitor) making for yet another dead and useless key on my keyboard, unless I get a second monitor (which screen) which isn't likely.

Sebastian
  • Reply 6 of 7
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Personally I don't see the problem with a single mouse button. 2 Finger Clicking works fine on Trackpads, and theres no chance of my thumb slipping to the left or right a little and hitting the wrong button. The following keys need to leave the Keyboard though: The Command button on the right, the Return key right next to it, and the second Shift Key on the right. More dedicated system keys could be moved down there freeing up my function keys a bit, especially since I have no use for F7 (which apparently controls a second monitor) making for yet another dead and useless key on my keyboard, unless I get a second monitor (which screen) which isn't likely.

Sebastian

Actually, the second shift and the second command keys are pretty important if you're typing with good technique... Like typing "Z" or "A" without taking your hand out of the home-row positions... The command key slightly, less so, but there are so many shortcuts that use it, that it's also important. The second return key, however, is useless, and should really hold something like a forward delete key, although I think the best place for forward delete would be where the eject button is. I think the eject button is used infrequently enough that it could be replaced with fn+12, or something similar...

I never had problems with clicking the wrong trackpad button on a dell, and I'd hazard that mistakes would happen a lot less that way than accidentally having 2 fingers on the trackpad when pushing the button... Also, I know it's not at all a gaming computer, but FPS games are really much easier with the second button, and the 2 finger click doesn't cut it in those situations...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Actually, the second shift and the second command keys are pretty important if you're typing with good technique... Like typing "Z" or "A" without taking your hand out of the home-row positions... The command key slightly, less so, but there are so many shortcuts that use it, that it's also important. The second return key, however, is useless, and should really hold something like a forward delete key, although I think the best place for forward delete would be where the eject button is. I think the eject button is used infrequently enough that it could be replaced with fn+12, or something similar...

I never had problems with clicking the wrong trackpad button on a dell, and I'd hazard that mistakes would happen a lot less that way than accidentally having 2 fingers on the trackpad when pushing the button... Also, I know it's not at all a gaming computer, but FPS games are really much easier with the second button, and the 2 finger click doesn't cut it in those situations...

When I type Z or A I just move my pinky to the shift and use my ring finger to hit the other button. My Middle and Index fingers stay on D and F and my thumbs continue to hover between the Trackpad and Spacebar. Personally I don't see the need for forward delete at all when fn+delete does it about as easily. The only convenience is knocking it down to 1 button, but in that case I'd rather have the Eject button where it is. The second command key I have used about a total of 2 times, and that was only when my left hand was busy doing something else. I don't use it often, and even if I did need to my right thumb on the first command key allows me to hit any button anywhere with the other 4 fingers on my right hand except the power button.

Sebastian