Using US Apple devices in 220v environment

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Understand that many Apple devices handle the change from US electricity (110v) to European and Latin American electricity (220v) seamlessly. I have found my Powerbook handles the change in power just fine. However, does anyone know if the new Apple Extreme can be plugged into 220 v without a transformer?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnJohn1 View Post

Understand that many Apple devices handle the change from US electricity (110v) to European and Latin American electricity (220v) seamlessly. I have found my Powerbook handles the change in power just fine. However, does anyone know if the new Apple Extreme can be plugged into 220 v without a transformer?

Check the power adapter. It should give a range of Voltage accepted under input. The MBPro's says 100-240V. If there's no "block" on the power chord, it's not safe. I'd say 100% of laptops give this functionality, but I have no idea about Airport, since it's not really something most people travel with...

BTW, anybody notice that Apple kept the "official" weight down on the MBPro by making the adapter 25% bigger? (they don't include adapter weight in the product specs). I guess they stuck some extra power supply components that used to be inside the machine over to the adapter...