Fireworks?...Really?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey I have been using a lot of the Adobe products for a long time. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash, Dreamweaver, After Effects, whatever. I have done a bunch of websites, and I have always used Photoshop, Illustrator, Image Ready, Flash/Dreamweaver. What does Fireworks actually do? I've herd of some people using it, but I just looked on the Adobe website again, and I don't see any difference between Fireworks, and using Photoshop/Illustrator/Dreamweaver. Is this something worth looking into, or is it just an alternative to what I'm doing now? It just looks like it has a little of each application integrated. Would I be far off saying that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Fireworks is really a more web focussed version of Photoshop. If you're already comfortable using Photoshop/Image Ready then there's nothing new here at all.

When Fireworks first came out it was actually useful because Photoshop didn't have all the web optimisation features or slicing. (from my memory)

I presume now that Adobe have bought Macromedia they will stop making Fireworks.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Fireworks does what Image ready does more or less. But better.

Actually the Fireworks compression engine is far superior to Photoshop's - you can save a jpg at 85% in FW and it will still be much smaller, up to 40% sometimes, than an 80% PS jpg.

I always work in Photoshop for the web but optimize with FW.

Well, I'm all about the Premium Design Bundle. I don't know if FW would be worth giving up those other applications. But with InDesgn, Photoshop Extended, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, AND Flash Pro, I feel I'll be better off. The Web Design bundles you really get nothing. I guess it's geared towards people that do strickly code? IDK. I've been using Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Image Ready, Flash, and Dreamweaver for so long, I don't think I want to try something new, I'm very comfortible with everything I use. I just need these Apps to come out like now, waiting this next month is going to be torcher. Rosetta is a great idea, and it got me through this little period of time, but I just want my Mac Pro to run these last applications like they should, bye bye Rosetta