Apple TV connected to a projector

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is there anybody who has experience with the Apple TV connected to a projector. Sounds like the ideal home entertainment system to me.

This is the setup that I'm considering because I do not own a tv and certainly want to keep it that way.

P

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PCoutsider View Post

Is there anybody who has experience with the Apple TV connected to a projector. ...

A projector is just a monitor, albeit an expensive monitor compared to most HDTV monitors and integrated TV sets. It takes up a lot more space because you need a pedestal to mount the projector, space for the screen, and clear space between them. So long as your projector has HMDI, DVI, or component inputs, you should have no technical problems. However, I am not seeing you solve the logistical and economic problems. A $600 Wal-Mart special seems to be a much better bet.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Thanks for the info!

Doing some more research.

regards,

P
  • Reply 4 of 4
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

A projector is just a monitor, albeit an expensive monitor compared to most HDTV monitors and integrated TV sets.

Not on a per inch basis...$2K gets you 720p 100"+ TV. Soon $3K for 1080p for 100"+ TV.

Frankly there isn't another affordable large screen experience.

Quote:

It takes up a lot more space because you need a pedestal to mount the projector, space for the screen, and clear space between them. So long as your projector has HMDI, DVI, or component inputs, you should have no technical problems. However, I am not seeing you solve the logistical and economic problems. A $600 Wal-Mart special seems to be a much better bet.

It takes up space normally not used. You need 100"+ for the screen on a wall and a bookshelf, coffetable or ceiling mount for the projector. Yes you need the intervening space to be unobstructed but typically it is.

The major downside to projectors are setup is more difficult and it doesn't do well with ambient light. But if you get a short throw lens you can have a largish screen in a relatively small space at reasonable costs.

Vinea