Apple thrives under Vista onslaught, steady on iPods

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
An expert at Morgan Stanley has reasoned that of all the major computer makers in play during the release of Windows Vista, the only one to avoid taking a hit in sales was the one company that chose not to run the software at all: Apple.

In a research note issued to investors, Morgan Stanley analyst Kathryn Huberty advised readers that Apple was the healthiest PC vendor during the first two months of the new year, seeing virtually no damage to its rapid growth compared to Windows-using rivals.

"[Apple] is the only vendor that appears unscathed by the Vista transition," Huberty said.

Most system builders predictably suffered from the combination of both the post-holiday seasonal slump and the wait for Microsoft's long-delayed OS. Buyers at retail and in smaller-scale businesses repeatedly showed hesitation in buying a new Windows PC throughout most of January knowing that Vista loomed near.

Companies such as Lenovo were especially hurt, seeing a virtually flat 3 percent growth from one year to the next compared to a much healthier 29 percent during the same period in 2006. Even current industry champion Hewlett-Packard saw a slight dip, according to the note.

But while virtually every vendor of Windows PCs depended on the Vista-related sales surge in February to make up for a lackluster first month, Apple continued its march forward seemingly untouched by Vista's presence: the number of Macs shipped to the same business and retail buyers grew by 71 percent year-over-year in January and a nearly identical 72 percent in February.

Apple also took an 8 percent share of this particular market, compared to 6 percent a year ago -- boding especially well for the still modestly sized Mac maker in the face of resurgent competition. Some assumed the company would lose ground to Vista as it had with prior Windows updates.

A consistently strong showing was also the hallmark of the California firm's other core business, the iPod. Apple showed no signs of letting go of its by now well-entrenched marketshare, holding over 73 percent of the music player sales through the early part of the year and growing 30 percent between the same two months in 2006 and 2007. Would-be challengers had to largely be content with taking each other's business, the report noted.

The combined effect was to position Apple as one of the strongest computer companies heading into the spring, pulling ahead not only of the 23 percent average jump in PC sales during the 12-month span but also having an extremely resilient digital media player share to boost its finances. Huberty was clearly impressed by the outlook for the company's short-term future.

"Continued Mac momentum and strong double-digit iPod growth... give us confidence that [Apple] will beat expectations in the March [quarter]," she said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    it's.

not.

friday.

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 2 of 43
    AI is beginning a new habit of showing you articles from THE FUTURE.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Unless I overlooked it, there is no mention of OS X in the article. That said, your average user, and possibly even this "analyst", might think Apple runs Windows as it's only OS. It certainly seems like it is indirectly implied.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Unless I overlooked it, there is no mention of OS X in the article. That said, your average user, and possibly even this "analyst", might think Apple runs Windows as it's only OS. It certainly seems like it is indirectly implied.

At the time I read the AI post, it states clearly that Apple is a vendor that does not sell computers running Windows.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Back online are we?
  • Reply 6 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It's Friday somewhere.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's Friday somewhere.

At any given moment, you should be able to find some place in the universe where it is Friday.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

it's.

not.

friday.

-=|Mgkwho

I've already experience 13 hours of Firiday.

The world is not entirely US Centric
  • Reply 9 of 43
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orange whip View Post

I've already experience 13 hours of Firiday.

The world is not entirely US Centric

AppleInsider is.

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 10 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

it's.

not.

friday.

-=|Mgkwho

It is now.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Is reading a problem? Or are you saying that they changed it?

First sentence:

Quote:

An expert at Morgan Stanley has reasoned that of all the major computer makers in play during the release of Windows Vista, the only one to avoid taking a hit in sales was the one company that chose not to run the software at all: Apple.

• Reply 12 of 43
    Somehow, I'm not terribly surprised....
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Quote:

AppleInsider is.

-=|Mgkwho

You do your country no favours with that kind of attitude.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orange whip View Post

You do your country no favours with that kind of attitude.

It's a US-based website. They're perfectly entitled to be US-centric.

And no, I'm not a US citizen.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    fastredfastred Posts: 23member
    Quote:

AppleInsider is.

-=|Mgkwho

No its not ...

Mgwk-whatever...
  • Reply 16 of 43
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Well, I get my April MacWorld in late Feb, and here in Chicago I can buy the Sunday paper on Saturday afternoon. So what's the big deal with AI posting an article on late Thur saying it's part of their Friday "edition". Especially since it's consumed world-wide, regardless of where it's published?
  • Reply 17 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

It's a US-based website. They're perfectly entitled to be US-centric.

And no, I'm not a US citizen.

I'm sure they can defend themselves.

Why don't we all try and get back on topic. The real point here is that Vista isn't make Apple look bad, and that's a win for Apple. We all want Leopard to be done properly and not rushed, but if we had that Time Machine now we'd all use it
  • Reply 18 of 43
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

AI is beginning a new habit of showing you articles from THE FUTURE.

If they could only do that with the Powerball or Mega millions numbers.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    As I continue to read these articles about analyst reports, I keep asking myself, "Do they really get paid to state the obvious?" Why exactly would Vista's impending launch affect Mac sales? Mac's aren't Windows PC's and HP/Dell/Lenovo computers aren't OS X PC's.

Microsoft announced a new version of the Xbox but I highly doubt it will affect sales of the Nintendo Wii, Sony's PS3 or toasters. Can I get my analyst pay for that obvious conclusion?

If Apple announced a release date for Leopard, I bet we'd see a similar slow down in Mac sales. They'll probably be one as the "late Spring" launch deadline draws near and people anticipate Leopard's arrival.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    steinarsteinar Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

At any given moment, you should be able to find some place in the universe where it is Friday.

I never got the hang of Thursdays