macbook pro now or later

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Im hoping someone can give me some help, I realize nobody will have the precise answer to this but everything is purely speculation.

I wanted to buy a mac book pro 15" with 2.33 , i am simply worried that some new models will be released soon, someone metnioned maybe in April and with new operating systems.

Does anyone have any ideas on what they may release and when? And if it is worth the wait? will there be macbook pros this year faster than 2.33 with new software and more features?

Thanks very much for your response. Im holding off on getting the macbookpro until April

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    No one in here has a clue. Only Apple knows. We are all excited at the possibility of Mac Pros at NAB, and that may not even happen.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Expect an updated version in the next couple of months.

My wild guess would be June 2007, but it's always possible It slips a month or so.

The current one (I'm typing this on right now) is introduced 5 months ago, so the current MPB is almost due for a refresh.

Historically Apple refreshes it's Pro notebook-line every 6-9 months in the G4 era.

During its first year the MacBook Pro has seen a couple of updates:

February 2006: 15" MBP introduced with 1.83Ghz and 2.0Ghz Core Duo

April 2006: 17" MBP introduced at 2.16Ghz

May 2006: 15" MBP speedbump

October 2006: 15" & 17" upgraded to 2.16Ghz & 2.33Ghz Core 2 Duo.

So I would wait for the upgrade and the introduction of OSX 10.5 Leopard.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I would say you will see the mac pro's, mac minis and imacs updated before the macbook pros
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ylonylon Posts: 49member
    I'm about ready to loose my mind at the moment in terms of waiting for a new MacBook Pro. I have been going w/o a laptop for quite a while in hopes that they will be refreshing the 15" models with the new ATI Mobility card as well as some other minor updates at least prior to releasing the new killer units that will come with the instant-on, etc.

Here's what I'm currently planning: I need the MBP so badly right now, I'm going to at least wait until Apple announces a date for Leopard which should shoehorn us into getting the free update when it is released as they've done before. I'm guessing we're going to be hearing something soon.

Something that was encouraging to me juut the other day was that Solaris now can boot to ZFS (this just landed) so that perhaps may one of the prerequisites for which Apple has been awaiting in order to finalize an RC or at least some more advanced betas. I really cannot at all believe that Time Machine will exist via the previously shown scripted version; I think that was just a bandaid to show us something AND a placeholder in case things didn't go as expected with a bootable ZFS. Here's hoping!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    If you can wait a few months, the Santa Rosa platform will be out soon, the faster memory and system bus would help the faster chips more than it would the slower chips.

Then there's leopard if you want that but don't want to spend $130 on an upgrade right away. If you have software that you must be able to use right away, then maybe waiting to get only Leopard would be a a bad idea. If Tiger is any indication, some programs might not work without an update. It's hard to know.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    dahlenudahlenu Posts: 15member
    I think we will see many model refreshes before the end of June. I am thinking about buying a MacBook Pro and also a Mac Mini, and I'll wait until the next refresh.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    If you really NEED one as opposed to WANTING one, then buy now.

If you can wait for something that hasn't even entered the rumor zone, then you obviously don't need it that badly.

As it has been since the personal computer age began, you can wait forever for that next new thing.