iTunes in a foreign country.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2014
Has anyone had success in making iTunes Store purchases from a country not serviced by the iTS or from an iTS outside of their home country?

Here's my experience:

I have an iTunes US account. When iTunes was new, there was a "workaround" that let you register an iTunes account without a US credit card. I did this from HK, mainly because I wanted access to the free tracks.

I am not sure there is still a workaround. If there is, can anyone confirm?

Now, having an account is not enough, as we ned to somehow either add balance to the account or use a credit card. Since foreign credit cards cannot be registered for use with an iTS account, that leaves only the first option.

Well, we could buy an iTunes gift certificate, right? No. You can only buy, for instance, a US iTS gift certificate from the US Apple Store (requires a US credit card), or if you're in the US and can visit a shop that sells them. Not much good if you don't travel to the US.

You could ask a friend in the US to buy one for you and give you the code. But that's a hassle for your friend (in this case, my dad).

Enter solution: eBay.

Yay! I can buy iTunes Gift Certificates on eBay with my Paypal account, which is linked to my HK credit card! Perfect. And if you're lucky or diligent, you can even get them at a discount.

Well, I did this today. And I picked the right seller. I bought a $25 US iTunes Gift Certificate for $24.50. The seller simply emailed me the code, within 5 minutes of my purchase. And it worked perfectly!

I now have $25.11 to spend on US iTunes at my leisure, from HK, having never had a US credit card since iTuens was launched. I'm thinking about getting the LCD Soundsystem Nike running mix.

This also solves the video dilemma. I can finally buy iTunes videos to use on the Apple TV or Video iPod!

Any similar successes?

Question: Is there any way to open a UK iTunes account without a British address or credit card? I'd love to be able to buy tracks/vids from the UK site that aren't available on the US site.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Has anyone had success in making iTunes Store purchases from a country not serviced by the iTS or from an iTS outside of their home country?

Here's my experience:

I have an iTunes US account. When iTunes was new, there was a "workaround" that let you register an iTunes account without a US credit card. I did this from HK, mainly because I wanted access to the free tracks.

I am not sure there is still a workaround. If there is, can anyone confirm?

Now, having an account is not enough, as we ned to somehow either add balance to the account or use a credit card. Since foreign credit cards cannot be registered for use with an iTS account, that leaves only the first option.

Well, we could buy an iTunes gift certificate, right? No. You can only buy, for instance, a US iTS gift certificate from the US Apple Store (requires a US credit card), or if you're in the US and can visit a shop that sells them. Not much good if you don't travel to the US.

You could ask a friend in the US to buy one for you and give you the code. But that's a hassle for your friend (in this case, my dad).

Enter solution: eBay.

Yay! I can buy iTunes Gift Certificates on eBay with my Paypal account, which is linked to my HK credit card! Perfect. And if you're lucky or diligent, you can even get them at a discount.

Well, I did this today. And I picked the right seller. I bought a $25 US iTunes Gift Certificate for $24.50. The seller simply emailed me the code, within 5 minutes of my purchase. And it worked perfectly!

I now have $25.11 to spend on US iTunes at my leisure, from HK, having never had a US credit card since iTuens was launched. I'm thinking about getting the LCD Soundsystem Nike running mix.

This also solves the video dilemma. I can finally buy iTunes videos to use on the Apple TV or Video iPod!

Any similar successes?

Question: Is there any way to open a UK iTunes account without a British address or credit card? I'd love to be able to buy tracks/vids from the UK site that aren't available on the US site.

Thanks a lot ,i need it too.

I have the same question, Okay thanks
  • Reply 2 of 9
    atlasatlas Posts: 90member
    A site called Lik-Sang.com used to sell Japanese iTunes cards before they got shut down. Perfect situation, I guess. After you got the card, you would just set up a Japanese account with their business address as the address you put in. Hellsa J-Pop music for reals.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    jjjjjj Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

A site called Lik-Sang.com used to sell Japanese iTunes cards before they got shut down. Perfect situation, I guess. After you got the card, you would just set up a Japanese account with their business address as the address you put in. Hellsa J-Pop music for reals.

Was Lik-Sang.com shut down for selling the cards? As far as I know, there is nothing wrong with selling the cards, and no one looking to shut anyone down for selling them.

If anyone would like Japanese iTunes cards, I am happy to sell them to you, I live in Japan and am able to purchase cards very easily.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

I bought my Japanese iTunes card from jbox.com. They are a little pricey (US$18 for JPY1,500 card), but I was a little hesitant to buy via ebay, given the ease that someone could scam you on this...

Thinking of buying a US card via ebay though... would really like to be able to buy TV shows and movies to feed my Apple TV!!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    atlasatlas Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jjj View Post

Was Lik-Sang.com shut down for selling the cards? As far as I know, there is nothing wrong with selling the cards, and no one looking to shut anyone down for selling them.

If anyone would like Japanese iTunes cards, I am happy to sell them to you, I live in Japan and am able to purchase cards very easily.

No they were not shut down for that. Actually, Sony filed a lawsuit against them because they sell game consoles to everywhere in the world, so since people in Europe were buying the PSP before it was actually released, Sony got pissed.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Yeah but how do you open a Japan iTunes account (I'm not a fan of J-Pop - I'm more interested in opening a British iTunes account)? Don't you NEED a Japanese credit card, not just an address, to open the account?

I have the same question - would love to pick up a few things from the French store, but can't seem to do it. Anyone have any non-Japan/EU experience?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jjjjjj Posts: 2member
    Hi, I have Japanese iTunes cards for sale on eBay for $14.00, I have a 100% A+ eBay satisfaction rate, and I am going to keep it that way, only satisfied customers here. $14.00 does not really cover any of the trouble of going to the store and buying them, but apparently they do not sell well anywhere on the internet, I am just happy to sell the 5 that I have for now . . .

the title of the listing is 'Japan iTunes 1500 Yen Card, Free Digital Delivery' ,

listed in category: \tMusic > Digital Music Downloads > Other .
  • Reply 8 of 9

Check out: http://japancodesupply.com ;

They specialize in Japan gift cards (iTunes, etc). Cheap and fast online delivery (within 24 hours).

Their store is still small but they gradually adding more card types. Hope it helps!