Quad Core Pro's?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
could we see both pro lines go quad core chips? and all the consumers go dual core? will there be to much heat for something like that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Welcome to the forums Sanjan.

Please take a look at the other threads regarding the upcoming Mac Pros. You'll find a lot of information there.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sanjan View Post

could we see both pro lines go quad core chips? and all the consumers go dual core? will there be to much heat for something like that?

There isn't a quad core mobile CPU AFAIK - therefore I would have to say no, but I could be mistaken.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I'm not sure when quad core mobiles will be made. Some desknote maker might try that with the 50W Xeon chip that Intel is going to release, but it really needs to be 30-35W in order to put it into a standard notebook. The current low power quad maxes out at 1.86GHz, so you'd have to use multiple heavy duty multi core aware apps in order for it to be any better than a dual core 2.33GHz, and it would suck batteries faster too.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'm not sure when quad core mobiles will be made.

Which is normal, since there are not yet mobile quad core CPUs in the market and Intel, that has the lead in the mobile sector, has not yet announced anything about this. At this point, anything is pure speculation.