Uninstalling unwanted programs??

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm using a MacBook Pro 17" lap top with OS X:

I'm still pretty confused about this but recently I seemed to have found out how finally to trash programs. I read online by right clicking to bring up a tab to look into the "package info" and dragging those contents to the trash will do it..

But I have managed to accidently uninstal other programs in the wrong manner, how can I look into my HD to find out if I have actually correctly uninstalled all unwanted prgrams?

Would re-downloading and reinstalling the program which I didn't properly trash in the first place, and then trashing them properly will solve all my problems?

Thank you,

V

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by va_d1 View Post

I'm using a MacBook Pro 17" lap top with OS X:

I'm still pretty confused about this but recently I seemed to have found out how finally to trash programs. I read online by right clicking to bring up a tab to look into the "package info" and dragging those contents to the trash will do it..

But I have managed to accidently uninstal other programs in the wrong manner, how can I look into my HD to find out if I have actually correctly uninstalled all unwanted prgrams?

Would re-downloading and reinstalling the program which I didn't properly trash in the first place, and then trashing them properly will solve all my problems?

Thank you,

V

That's not at all the right way to trash programs!

All you are supposed to do is... drag the icon for the program into the trash. No need to look inside the package or anything fancy like that. On the Mac, trashing a program means just that: deleting it so it is no longer on your disk. The system does not keep a record of how you removed each one... once it's gone it's gone.

Some people may tell you to go and trash the program's preferences too. I personally seldom find the need: the preferences are very small files and by leaving them there then if you ever decide to re-install the program, it will be set up how you like it. If you do want to trash the preferences, look in your home directory. Open the library folder, then the preferences folder, then delete the file with your program's name. But I really think this is not necessary.

Amorya