Spill help...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Alright, so this is embarrassing..

While watching a movie last night, I had my MBP on my coffee table burning a CD. As the CD finished, I reached over to grab the CD only to knock over my drinky-drink all over the laptop. Horrified seeing my MBP covered in Jack n' Coke, I quickly shut it off and set it in front of a fan to dry.

My question is, what kind of damage could be afflicted upon my MBP? Has anyone here ever spilled anything on their laptop before? What can I do to salvage the damage?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    You need to take it apart completely and make sure everything is dry. Speed is imperative for this sort of thing.

Letting highly acidic beverages sit in the airless nooks and crannies of your laptop is an almost guaranteed recipe for permanent corrosion.

If you don't feel comfortable taking apart your baby, take it to an apple service center and have them do it. Whatever your decision, do it quickly.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    So it's a few days later and everything seems to be fine. The USB and firewire ports work as well as the optical drive. Ethernet and wireless cards work.

However there are two minor issues. The keyboard no longer illuminates. The middle of the keyboard lights up a little, but both the right and left sides of the keyboard are dark.

Also, the keyboard is very sticky on the right side. It's quite annoying but I'm not sure what to do...