Touch-less Multi-touch?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I rarely post at all here since before Y2k or so...

I was just surfing around and saw some touch screen product for in the bathroom, I thought "thats stupid..."

My point is that if apple can use multi-touch on the iPhone... using "field detection" or whatever...

Couldn't that detection be enhanced to the point of.... ... and follow me here...

Imagine a person could hover their finger about three inches from the screen and as they drew closer a subtle "square" or "circle" proximity indicator would indecate selection, etc.

Again this is a rare post and I don't interact here often, so be nice...

I think its a great response to those who like "Touch Screens" and "Cheeto's".

I'm just saying...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    You're not the first to suggest such a thing, but if one looks at that Minority Report film again they can easily image more tacktile and more quick and intuiitve ways to interact with a computer.

1. If you think about it, when was the last time you did in fact use your very tacktile moblie phone after eating Cheetos without washing your hands?

2. Rasing your hands up to a desktop screen can be very tiring. As can standing up like in Minority Report.

3. For those worrying about the iPhone's screen becoming scratched by their nail or something, forget about that happening too easily as its screen is made from tempered glass. The actual touch mechanism is behind the screen, not in its fabric.

4. I think the next step for desktop computing is bigger screens and touchscreen multi-touch keyboards that can display anything. The reason for the keyboard, and the reason it worked is because your hands natuarlly like rest on the desk. Getting rid of the mouse is the next job for Apple.

5. I think touch-screen tablets will become big, and also dual screen notebooks with no physical keyboard.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Maybe we need to invent a tongue-screen display (lickable).
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yeah, but call the UI "Lolly".
  • Reply 4 of 7
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The screen could also deliver small electrical impulses that your brain would interpret as flavours. Rather than colours, folders could be grouped into strawberry, chocolate or vanilla.

When doing your online food shop, you could actually try before you buy!

• Reply 5 of 7
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Oh and before I offend Oxygon, I am an advocate of multitouch by the way!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    People aren't generally very good at gesturing in mid-air, our hands are designed with tactile feedback in mind. So we'll need to touch something.

The one option with multi-touch right now would be a laptop form factor with the touchpad and keyboard replaced with a multi-touch display.

Other options would cost too much energy, or we'd be putting our hands between ourselves and our work, which would cost a lot of wasted motion.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HiddenWolf View Post

People aren't generally very good at gesturing in mid-air, our hands are designed with tactile feedback in mind. So we'll need to touch something.

The one option with multi-touch right now would be a laptop form factor with the touchpad and keyboard replaced with a multi-touch display.

Other options would cost too much energy, or we'd be putting our hands between ourselves and our work, which would cost a lot of wasted motion.

The only problem I could see with the dual-screen laptop at this point in time is battery life. Desktop with a mutil-touch keybaord however - they have great battery-life.

I wonder if this Oxygen guy is Steve Jobs?