How best to uninstall OS X Software such as Final Cut Studio?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am relatively new to the mac and am a pc switcher.

I am used to the uninstall/remove program option on Windows. Is there something like this on OS X? I don't see it and assume that it is as simple as dragging the program icon(s) to the trash can to delete. I installed the entire Final Cut Studio but then realized the only two sections of it I use are Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio. To free a lot of wasted space I decided to remove Livetype, Motion, and all the other sections but it didn't free up that space. Am I doing something wrong? What is the best way to remove this and other programs completely from OS X?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    You assumed correctly. Drag them to the trash. Emptying the trash will free up the disk space.

I don't use any of the video apps so I don't know if the programs you highlighted are parts of a suite or not. But I would be reluctant in tearing apart suites. You might loose some very important functionality in the parts you want to keep.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    per$onper$on Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

I am relatively new to the mac and am a pc switcher.

I am used to the uninstall/remove program option on Windows. Is there something like this on OS X? I don't see it and assume that it is as simple as dragging the program icon(s) to the trash can to delete. I installed the entire Final Cut Studio but then realized the only two sections of it I use are Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio. To free a lot of wasted space I decided to remove Livetype, Motion, and all the other sections but it didn't free up that space. Am I doing something wrong? What is the best way to remove this and other programs completely from OS X?

If I remember correctly, there are gigabytes of stuff that is installed apart from the applications themselves.

Have a look in Library > Application Support (LiveType and so on) in both the root and home directories, or do a sweep of your drive with OmniDiskSweeper or some such program to see what is taking up the space.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    irelandireland Posts: 17,746member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aftershock View Post

http://www.appzapper.com/

Guys, do not click this link as your computer will disappear from your desk, right before your eyes with a Zap!!!

AppZapper is a work of genius.