PowerBook or MacBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have been wanting an Intel based Mac lately so I thought I might sell my PowerBook it is a 15" 1.5ghz with 128mb of vram , 1gb of system ram, and an 80gb harddrive. I would be buying a MacBook as I would be using the money from the sale to buy it and I just don't have the extra right now to pay the difference out of pocket for a MacBook Pro. What do you guys and gals think? Should I keep the PowerBook or sell it for a Macbook? What are your reasons for your decision?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    bulls96bulls96 Posts: 10member
    the common answer would be to wait for the new macs to come out before you sell your powerbook because (1) New Leopard OS will be out (2) current intel macs will sell for a lower price by then.

I am still enjoying my Powerbook 12" PowerPC though. I could have gone to buy an intel mac notebook then, but i really put more importance to size, and affordability. So I got an "upgraded" PB (1gb RAM 80gb HD Superdrive) instead of a macbook.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TekMate View Post

I have been wanting an Intel based Mac lately so I thought I might sell my PowerBook it is a 15" 1.5ghz with 128mb of vram , 1gb of system ram, and an 80gb harddrive. I would be buying a MacBook as I would be using the money from the sale to buy it and I just don't have the extra right now to pay the difference out of pocket for a MacBook Pro. What do you guys and gals think? Should I keep the PowerBook or sell it for a Macbook? What are your reasons for your decision?

sounds like you really want a macbook pro, right? well if you do, then i suggest waiting for new ones to come out, then go to the Apple Refurbished part of the apple store online and see prices of slightly older macbook pros, you'll be surprised at the affordability. dont worry about buying refurbs, apple makes them just like new. if you are really actually satisfied with the macbook, go ahead and get one. they are really nice machines. mine (2.0ghz C2D, 1gb ram, etc) is great, i absolutely love it. if you have a local apple store, you should go and play around on both of them, see which one you like better, if you love the macbook like i do, get that, if you seem to prefer the macbook pro, then hold out and buy a refurb.

good luck in your purchase, come back with any more questions!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    tekmatetekmate Posts: 134member
    Thanks for the replys so far guys.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ak1808ak1808 Posts: 108member
    If you switch from your PowerBook to a MacBook, here are...

..the GAINS:

- more raw processor power

- built-in camera

- magnetic latch, power cable

- scrolling touchpad (you might have that already)

- very compact form factor

..the DRAWBACKS:

- glossy screen

- plastic shell

- lower screen resolution

- Office for Mac does not run at native speed (yet)

- less RAM (Macbook has no dedicated VRAM, so you need to factor in 64+ MB for that)

- lower 3D performance (assumed)