Format External HD?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a new WD 500GB "My Book" disk. It came FAT32.



I am ASSUMING that it would be better as a Mac formated drive. Is this a false assumption?



If it is true, what format do I want? There are a bunch of different Mac formats and I don't know the differences.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 5
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 525member
    Assuming you are setting the drive up for regular use, you're best bet is to stick to the default "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiNGME View Post


    I have a new WD 500GB "My Book" disk. It came FAT32.



    I am ASSUMING that it would be better as a Mac formated drive. Is this a false assumption?



    If it is true, what format do I want? There are a bunch of different Mac formats and I don't know the differences.



    KINGME,



    HFS+ Journalized as posted by jabohn. Does it have a 400 or 800 firewire port? Those are much better and faster for Macs than USB



    Did you check my PM to you?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    kingmekingme Posts: 70member
    It is a FireWire 800 drive.



    I thought I might want "journaled" (it defaults to that) but I hav no idea what that means and there is another HFS+ without journalling too.



    Thanks!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiNGME View Post


    It is a FireWire 800 drive.



    I thought I might want "journaled" (it defaults to that) but I hav no idea what that means and there is another HFS+ without journalling too.



    Thanks!



    Check this out. Tells you what Journalizing is and why it's good.



    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107249
  • Reply 5 of 5
    kingmekingme Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post


    Check this out. Tells you what Journalizing is and why it's good.



    Cool! Thanks!
Sign In or Register to comment.