Report: iPhone could make or break Apple's bank

Comments

• Reply 61 of 131
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Dont assume what I can and cant afford. You only go to make yourself look childish and demeaning. (and dumb)

Go to a forum for younger iphone fans and when you learn some manners then come back here.

That's Nancy Fohring's opinion. Nothing more. And you were comletely flippant in your original position as well. So there's plenty of 'tude to go around. Early adopters a "whack"?

I've been around here a helluva lot longer than you have. You better grow a thicker skin if you want to last.
  • Reply 62 of 131
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think Dvorak can be faulted too much for exploiting those that make themselves so easily exploitable.

Please. Does Dvorak really need apologists? He's a douche and he probably knows he's a douche... he just doesn't care.

Yes, Mac fans do set themselves up to be exploited by his ilk, but even so, if you do the exploiting, you're still a douche. Degree of difficulty in doing the exploiting doesn't really figure into it, it's the act that counts. \

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=51694

• Reply 63 of 131
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:

"Nancy GohringFri Feb 23, 11:47 AM . Consumers aren't willing to pay what Apple may ask for the iPhone, but if the price drops they'll switch their mobile service to AT&T in order to get it, according to results of a survey released Thursday. Online market research firm Compete Inc. surveyed 379 people in the U.S.,......

I'm going to have to rant yet again about shoddy journalism. The Nancy Gohring article quoted by bavlondon2 is one more example. As I read her article, my thoughts were similar to those expressed very well by David Demaree in his article entitled Damned Lies Redux. The title is a reference to the well-known saying which was part of a phrase attributed to Benjamin Disraeli and popularized in the U.S. by Mark Twain: There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. The semi-ironic statement refers to the persuasive power of numbers, and succinctly describes how even accurate statistics can be used to bolster inaccurate arguments.

Since Demaree articulates my thoughts so well, I'll just let his words speak for themselves.

http://practicalmadness.com/2007/02/damned_lies_red
  • Reply 64 of 131
    PS- Video of Dvorak basically admitting that he's a douchebag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAWDY...elated&search=

• Reply 65 of 131
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Please. Does Dvorak really need apologists? He's a douche and he probably knows he's a douche... he just doesn't care.

Yes, Mac fans do set themselves up to be exploited by his ilk, but even so, if you do the exploiting, you're still a douche. Degree of difficulty in doing the exploiting doesn't really figure into it, it's the act that counts. \

No, I don't think that he he really cares. The problem here is that trolling Mac users is so easy and profitable that the only way to change his behavior is convince Mac users to not take the bait so easily.
  • Reply 66 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Sorry. But that's crap. I've talked to WAY too many people I know personally who can't wait to buy the iPhone.

And the price is never going drop.

Huh? The price for the top-of-the-line iPhone may not drop much, but knowing that the vast midrange of the market will never pay those prices, would not Apple eventually release other models of iPhone that are cheaper?

The iPod parallel is pretty obvious... the top-of-the-line iPod is still priced relatively high, but Apple introduced the Mini, Shuffle, and Nano to expand the iPod into lower-price points. Extremely successfully, too.

• Reply 67 of 131
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:

No, I don't think that he he really cares. The problem here is that trolling Mac users is so easy and profitable that the only way to change his behavior is convince Mac users to not take the bait so easily.

Precisely!
  • Reply 68 of 131
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

I'm going to have to rant yet again about shoddy journalism. The Nancy Gohring article quoted by bavlondon2 is one more example. As I read her article, my thoughts were similar to those expressed very well by David Demaree in his article entitled Damned Lies Redux. The title is a reference to the well-known saying which was part of a phrase attributed to Benjamin Disraeli and popularized in the U.S. by Mark Twain: There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. The semi-ironic statement refers to the persuasive power of numbers, and succinctly describes how even accurate statistics can be used to bolster inaccurate arguments.

Since Demaree articulates my thoughts so well, I'll just let his words speak for themselves.

http://practicalmadness.com/2007/02/damned_lies_red

Evryones entitled to their own opinion. The article you posted is nothing more than a generic one so stop using such garbage to bolster your own fantasies.

The fact is that the price of the iphone is way too expensive for a phone with such outdated feaures. Ill admit the touch interface is second to none but its not even 3g, the camera doesnt even have a flash or autofocus and the useage time is poor.And an internal battery? What a joke. (I i suppose its not your fault you guys are sow to pick up 3G let alone HSDPA)

I wonder if it will even get through a day. Is this why a standbytime was never announced, only a talk/useage time. Im sure the FCC report will show all but what im pointing out is that whilst its a nice device majority of people wont pay $500 for a phone with a 2 year contract. We dont even have 2 years contracts in the uk lol

And the most high end of all phones are only built to last a year or so. With Apples track record in faulty ipods will the iphone last 2 years?

These things should have been addressed before Apple went ahead with the launch.
  • Reply 69 of 131
    Quote:

That's an impossibility. Dvorak's trolling technique (which isn't even brilliant, btw, a nine-year old could do much the same thing) will always work on any platform, product, etc. that has a passionate user base.

For Dvorak's trolling not to work, Mac users would have to not be passionate about Macs. It's the inherent downside of having products that you actually really like and enjoy using.

As lame as Dvorak's doucebag antics are, it'd be infinitely worse if they provoked no response whatsoever.

• Reply 70 of 131
    Quote:

We dont even have 2 years contracts in the uk lol

No, what you have is 18 month contracts and much-higher-than-US-prices for minutes. Which is why you Euro folk are so into texting... talking is too expensive over there.

Quote:

And the most high end of all phones are only built to last a year or so. With Apples track record in faulty ipods will the iphone last 2 years?

Don't see why not. I own 2 iPods, both have lasted quite awhile, including my 1G Mini which I got 3 years ago. But my Nokia 6256i cellphone? Busted, blown-out hinge after only 16 months.

Let's just say that when it comes to cellphones, the durability bar is set pretty slow. Apple would have to do very poorly not to meet or beat the standard established by the existing major phone makers.

• Reply 71 of 131
    Good points there. Lets hope for their sake they do. Although does the 2 year contract mean that Apple wont have a sucessor to the iphone for 2 years?

I hope the iphone has other basic feaures found in most phones such as being able to play 3gp/mp4 as well as video recording on the camera. As you lot are lucky to get it first when do you expect to see the full specs for it?

More importantaly when will it be FCC approved?
  • Reply 72 of 131
    i don't think they'll wait that long to introduce new features. with efforts like this i believe most of the time goes into getting the first one out and getting your foot in the door. now that they're "established" they'll be able to roll out different models much more easily and faster.
  • Reply 73 of 131
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

That's an impossibility. Dvorak's trolling technique (which isn't even brilliant, btw, a nine-year old could do much the same thing) will always work on any platform, product, etc. that has a passionate user base.

For Dvorak's trolling not to work, Mac users would have to not be passionate about Macs. It's the inherent downside of having products that you actually really like and enjoy using.

No, that's the downside of being so personally invested in a computer. An insult against the computer is taken as a personal insult. It's stupid to do, regardless of platform. One thing that is not Dvorak's fault is people that don't want to become emotionally or mentally mature enough to know how to avoid being troll-baited like that.

Quote:

As lame as Dvorak's doucebag antics are, it'd be infinitely worse if they provoked no response whatsoever.

I disagree, I think the causality is the reverse. If he's ignored, then he will go away or write about something else instead. In contrast, giving him vitriol and multiplying page hits will encourage him to do it again and more often. Dvorak has absolutely no reason to break this loop. He doesn't care what you or I think unless it hits him in the pocket book. I think this adage fits: "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me...".
  • Reply 74 of 131
    Quote:

No, that's the downside of being so personally invested in a computer. An insult against the computer is taken as a personal insult. It's stupid to do, regardless of platform. One thing that is not Dvorak's fault is people that don't want to become emotionally or mentally mature enough to know how to avoid being troll-baited like that.

One person's emotional immaturity is another person's enthusiasm or passion. It really depends on how you personally choose to view it. I myself find NASCAR fanatics to be inappropriately into a boring sport, but I'm sure we could come up with many valid perspectives on that contrary to mine.

To me, the ironic thing is, given Apple's past near-death experiences, we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion if not for it's fans' passion (Dvorak would say 'fanaticism'). Apple would've ceased to exist.

Quote:

I disagree, I think the causality is the reverse. If he's ignored, then he will go away or write about something else instead. In contrast, giving him vitriol and multiplying page hits will encourage him to do it again and more often. Dvorak has absolutely no reason to break this loop. He doesn't care what you or I think unless it hits him in the pocket book. I think this adage fits: "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me...".

Well, that's an idealistic sentiment, and no doubt if all 22 million plus Mac users followed it, Dvorak would be a lonely boy indeed. All I'm saying is that its highly unlikely that anyone will ever get the entire (enthusiastic, passionate) Mac base to not respond. It's a nice 'what if' scenario though.

So, since that probably isn't going to happen, we may as well have some fun with the trollish likes of Dvorak and the other assorted douches of his ilk. The Joy of Tech cartoon was a fun example of that.

• Reply 75 of 131
    Quote:

Good points there. Lets hope for their sake they do. Although does the 2 year contract mean that Apple wont have a sucessor to the iphone for 2 years?

I hope the iphone has other basic feaures found in most phones such as being able to play 3gp/mp4 as well as video recording on the camera. As you lot are lucky to get it first when do you expect to see the full specs for it?

More importantaly when will it be FCC approved?

I don't recall reading anything about Apple's contract with ATT that would prevent them from releasing other iPhone models... only that any iPhones made by Apple over the next 2 years will be ATT/Cingular exclusives in the US. If anyone has any info contrary to that, please pipe up.

Far as FCC approval goes, this is a good page to watch for it on. The iPhone is not listed yet, so we're still waiting, apparently:

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/new.php?m=f

• Reply 76 of 131
    Quote:

I don't recall reading anything about Apple's contract with ATT that would prevent them from releasing other iPhone models... only that any iPhones made by Apple over the next 2 years will be ATT/Cingular exclusives in the US. If anyone has any info contrary to that, please pipe up.

Far as FCC approval goes, this is a good page to watch for it on. The iPhone is not listed yet, so we're still waiting, apparently:

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/new.php?m=f

The only shame is that whilst the 4gb model will be $400 that will still be £400 for us whoch means we pay more for the technology than you guys will do.

But hopefully our version will be 3G.
  • Reply 77 of 131
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I tend to agree with the Appleinsider link below. The deal is probably a 5 year exclusive deal.
    PS: I'm surprised that the FCC approval hasn't gone through yet.
  • Reply 78 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I tend to agree with the Appleinsider link below. The deal is probably a 5 year exclusive deal.
    PS: I'm surprised that the FCC approval hasn't gone through yet.

I'm happy I waited to read all the posts before replying.

I also seem to remember the 5 year contract bit.

People are assuming that because ATT is offering a 2 year contract to their customers, Apple must have a 2 year contract with ATT. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

It takes a while for the FCC to finish their approval process (assuming that it DOES get approved, not everything does, first time around).
  • Reply 79 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I dunno... some analysts seem to have a different take on it:

Will The iPhone Be Available Through Other Carriers?

Apple and Cingular have inked a multi-year exclusive contract for the iPhone. However, it is unclear whether this deal applies to this iPhone model only or all future models released throughout the duration of the contract. We believe Apple will release new iPhone models quickly (as the company has with the iPod) and these devices will eventually be open to other wireless carriers, possibly even before the Cingular contract expires. With this expansion to other carriers comes expansion of the addressable market beyond Cingular's 58m subscribers. Certainly Apple will use other carriers abroad; the company indicated that it plans to expand iPhone distribution to Europe in the Q4 of FY07 quarter and to Asia in FY08. Apple will need to develop other versions of the iPhone for these markets (CDMA, etc.), which the company will likely also sell to other U.S. wireless carriers just after or even before the exclusive deal with Cingular ends.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2452

There does seem to be some confusion here. My guess? The details of deal have been kept intentionally vague. so that Cingular/ATT can put one spin on it while Apple puts another. Kinda like most political treaties.

• Reply 80 of 131
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

However, it is unclear whether this deal applies to this iPhone model only or all future models released throughout the duration of the contract. We believe Apple will release new iPhone models quickly (as the company has with the iPod) and these devices will eventually be open to other wireless carriers, possibly even before the Cingular contract expires.

I don't buy that logic as it would completely make the exclusive deal with AT&T pointless if Apple could release a nearly identical iPhone with a different model number. I'd bet money that Cingular gets exclusive rights to the US market for a set amount of years regardless of changes made to the iPhone line.