New Logic Pro??

cbacba
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Where is it?

What will it be?

What will it have?

Any other questions?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CBA View Post


    Any other questions?



    Yes: could you please provide some content of your own?



  • Reply 2 of 13
    Looking at your sig, you say you have Pro Tools and Logic, why are you worried about the Logic upgrade so much?



    **SCREECHING CAR STOPPING SOUND** Hold up! Looking at your profile it says your 17 years old. How do you have Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Final Cut Studio, AND Photoshop??? What do you do? Pro Tools is Industry standard, even with heavy midi, Pro Tools 7 runs amazing. Why get the new Logic Pro, when for close to nothing you can upgrade your Pro Tools system?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    cbacba Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post


    Looking at your sig, you say you have Pro Tools and Logic, why are you worried about the Logic upgrade so much?



    Will it be worth me saving up for, for the upgrad , is my thought, and more information?



    here it is:



    -Possibly a brand new product to come out, only avaliable with iLife, under a new name.



    -A complete overhaul of the UI



    -May have come out 2 weeks ago, but didn't





    thats about as much as I know!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CBA View Post


    Will it be worth me saving up for, for the upgrad , is my thought, and more information?



    here it is:



    -Possibly a brand new product to come out, only avaliable with iLife, under a new name.



    -A complete overhaul of the UI



    -May have come out 2 weeks ago, but didn't





    thats about as much as I know!



    The reason for the Pro Tools vs Logic debate is midi control. A lot of EDM producers use Logic because of old horror stories of Pro Tools and Midi control. I produce EDM and use Cubase 4 and Reason 3 right now, but I am currently trying to sell my Cubase 4 setup and switch to Pro Tools. My roomate has a 002 rack and it runs Pro Tools 7 LE flawless. I would definitely drop Logic at this point and run Pro Tools. Being that you have licenses for both, sell you Logic and upgrade Pro Tools. You'll have money left over to buy other shit. What kind of music are you into? Are you doing Post Production? Why are you using both? Usually you'll hear someone using one or the other....
  • Reply 5 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,277member
    CBA



    Logic Pro 8 should be a massive upgrade. Certainly worth it IMO.



    We'll know by WWDC (june) at the latest and perhaps at NAB.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,399member
    Logic, along with a few other apps , would benefit immensely from the instantaneous feedback a touchpad or touchscreen from Apple could offer. I know this is not an original comment, but then again, this is not a very original thread.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    cbacba Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post


    Looking at your sig, you say you have Pro Tools and Logic, why are you worried about the Logic upgrade so much?



    **SCREECHING CAR STOPPING SOUND** Hold up! Looking at your profile it says your 17 years old. How do you have Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Final Cut Studio, AND Photoshop??? What do you do? Pro Tools is Industry standard, even with heavy midi, Pro Tools 7 runs amazing. Why get the new Logic Pro, when for close to nothing you can upgrade your Pro Tools system?



    I find that Pro Tools is by far the best at producing audio, however for midi processing, plug-ins and sequencing, Logic Pro far outstrips Pro tools.



    As for Final Cut Studio, I do lots of movie editing at school, and Photoshop is the best for photos (that I can work with) and when I need to edit photos, it is what I use.



    I can compose, record, and pretty much manipulate media as much as anyone would like!!

    If anyone would like to commision me, just get in touch.



    To further this, does anyone know how to make beautiful flash websites? Websited are the only thing I have yet to get to grips with- I have dreamweaver, where do I go next?





    Many thanks!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CBA View Post




    To further this, does anyone know how to make beautiful flash websites? Websited are the only thing I have yet to get to grips with- I have dreamweaver, where do I go next?



    Many thanks!



    Learn CSS ..grab a good book. I'm there with you...I need to learn as well.



    Then grab CSSEdit http://www.macrabbit.com/cssedit/



    Later you can start dinking around with Ruby on Rails if you want to create web apps or Adobe's Apollo.



    Just a hint.. when I was in high school we had dot matrix printers. You have technology that we couldn't even have imagined. I'm glad to see you embracing such an avenue for artistic expression. Your generation will change the world.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    cbacba Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    Learn CSS ..grab a good book. I'm there with you...I need to learn as well.



    Then grab CSSEdit http://www.macrabbit.com/cssedit/



    Later you can start dinking around with Ruby on Rails if you want to create web apps or Adobe's Apollo.



    Just a hint.. when I was in high school we had dot matrix printers. You have technology that we couldn't even have imagined. I'm glad to see you embracing such an avenue for artistic expression. Your generation will change the world.



    If global warming doesnt kill us all!!!

    Anyway, back to the original topic in hand maybe??
  • Reply 10 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CBA View Post


    If global warming doesnt kill us all!!!

    Anyway, back to the original topic in hand maybe??



    I've been following Logic Pro for a bit. I haven't learned the program but I plan on

    really mastering it. I went to a Logic/Apogee Ensemble (FW Core Audio enabled interface) demo here in Seattle. It's an amazing program that has been around forever. I thought Logic Pro 8 would be a simple upgrade but it is starting to sound like it's going to be more substantial than many have believed.



    Rumors of an Apple 64-bit Pro Tools killer ( I know I hate that too) have been around for over a year. They didn't make sense because in Tiger only the Unix layer is 64-bit. Well now look at Leopard where "everything" is 64-bit.



    Let's take a look at what Apple's done with Logic Pro since acquiring Emagic.



    Jan 2004 Apple announces Logic Pro 6



    Apple combines 12 applications and 53 plugins into one program. They break the line down to two productlines; Pro and Express. The windows version is killed.



    Sept 2004 Apple announces Logic Pro 7 and Express



    Apple includes three new tools. Guitar Amp, Sculpture and UltraBeat. They include Space Designer the Convolution Reverb as well. Apple also includes support for Apple Loops.



    Logic Pro has been tweaked and some things like Plugin Delay Compensation and Freeze audio tracks have been implemented but there has been little "deep" architectural change.



    Convential Wisdown states that Logic Pro 8 will be as close to a ground up rewrite as possible. Steve Jobs is rumored to be un-enamored with the current LP user interface. Delay Compensation on the plugins and busses needs to be improved. Audio editing needs drastic improvement as compared to the relative ease in which Pro Tools edits audio. Notation could stand for improvements and sample accurate editing in the Arrange window is the #1 feature request by some.



    I think that LP8 will be a huge update. It will offer more new features than I could even come up with in this thread. It will use the 3rd generation of Core Audio in Leopard and will be fully 64-bit. It will be based on QTkit frameworks and handle video better. This is important because I believe that LP8 will finally be a peer app in a Final Cut Studio workflow. You'll be able to send the "final cut" into LP8 and complete the score and send it right back to Final Cut Pro.



    Audio editing will be light years beyond what LP does today. Sound restoration will be beefed up. Delay compensation will be everywhere. Logic will offer excellent device control. The Apogee Ensemble is just the first step. I expect to see hardware mixing surfaces spring up in the next couple of years that will function very well with LP8. LP8 will offer much better surround sound capability.



    It's going to be a new app basically. Whole new UI and new engine. Look at what Apple has done with LP6 and LP7 ...not much...mainly bolt-on stuff and moving to Universal Binary. LP8 is likely going to be the culmination of over 3yrs of "skating to the puck" for audio. I hope I have the time and patience to become certified in it. There is a chance that Apple will use NAB 2007, which starts on the 15th for Apple, as a platform to announce LP8 as well. It's only natural as I'm sure LP8 is going to be very important to Apple's video lineup. We'll know in 4 days.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    nebulanebula Posts: 7member
    Unfortunately we didn't find out in 4 days. I'm resurrecting this thread because the next Logic is becoming a hotly contested issue among users.



    hmurchison, you hit most of the points right on the head that users want from the next Logic.



    One big wish from the Logic community you missed is time compression/expansion that works as well as Ableton Live. This is a big mystery though, since Apple basically partnered with Serato (so users can pay extra for better algorithms) for 7.2. If Apple's gonna go there, where will that leave Serato's expensive add-on algorithms (and the users that ponied up for them)?



    Better processor usage is a biggy too, as offline bounces still only use one core, and screenset changes are ridiculously slow even on my Mac Pro.



    The more time passes with no announcements, the more users are expecting.



    One interesting point: a discussion on a Mac audio message board started when the Leopard delay was announced. Everybody was agreeing that we're not likely to see a new Logic until Leopard is announced / released, because the rumors at that point all suggested that the next Logic will depend heavily on new features in Leopard. A known Logic developer countered with something to the effect of:



    Quote:

    Just curious: what does Leopard have to do with Logic?



    ... and added nothing more to the zillion replies that followed.



    Does that mean that future Logic does not require Leopard-specific features? Or maybe that Logic is done as of Tiger?



    SOMEBODY's gotta know something. I've been using Logic Audio since version 2. I've created some great stuff, and I've faithfully invested in plug-ins and upgrades from Emagic and Apple. I made no beef about it when Apple decided to make my plug-in investment worthless by giving all their plugs away for free. A thousand bucks at the beginning, then a few hundred dollars here, fifty there... based on an unspoken commitment from the developer that this software will continue to be on the bleeding edge. It's not, and the userbase is getting restless.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,277member
    I have a hard time believing that Apple will wait for Leopard to deliver the successor to Logic Pro 7. They are going to deliver some excellent upgrades to Final Cut Studio which run under Tiger.



    Much of Leopard features are still under NDA but I cannot get a whiff of any really substantive changes to Core Audio.



    My guess is LP8 will be delivered before Leopard and then late fall there will be Leopard updates for the Pro Apps.



    Hey I wouldn't mind Apple aquiring Serato and Redmatica product for the successor either. Imagine the benefits of Pitch'n'Time and Keymap including in the next LP.



    I'd also love to see the use of more convolution technology. Convolution Reverb should only be the first step. I want to see Emagic engineer on the forefront of deploying the technology into other musical areas like others are doing.



    http://www.acusticaudio.com Nebula2



    Let me access sampled mics and sampled EQ/Dynamic processors. It's truly the next wave of sound design IMO.



    Listen to the demos of Speakerphone from Audio Ease for more uses of Convolution tech



    http://www.audioease.com/Pages/Speak...akerphone.html Cool!



    I'd love to see some more powerful low level stuff that enables flawless streaming. Tascam is bringing Giga Virtual Instruments to Macs...but when?



    http://www.bestservice.de/actual.asp...5a91p64p151p32



    They've been working on it a while.



    http://www.tascam.com/Press/Releases/gvi.html



    Quote:

    TASCAM GVI will be available in the Spring of 2006 with a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $399. To take GVI to the next level, TASCAM is already in development of a Mac version.



    Or even better give us something that is lust worthy and takes an ungodly amount of computer power...well almost. Like this...



    http://www.audioimpressions.com/Products/



    It sounds like a million bucks. Make is 96Khz only though as 192K is overkill.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    storkstork Posts: 1member
    I think it might be interesting that Apple have dropped any mention of Logic Pro (or Logic Express for that matter !) from the rebranded ProCare (now 'one to one') adverts recently posted.



    http://www.apple.com/retail/onetoone/



    in the moviemaking box it says



    Quote:

    We?ll show you everything from how to turn your clips into a movie with iMovie, to using the high-performance features of Final Cut.



    whereas in music making...



    Quote:

    We?ll help you create a song in GarageBand by recording your own instruments, adding built-in loops and vocals, layering tracks, and editing your masterpiece.



    Logic Pro/express used to be featured applications... the fact they still teach FCP and Aperture would seem to indicate that they still want to offer the 'Pro' apps but there's no mention of the music ones... hmmm..



    I really hope it's a massive rewrite of the Logic that's coming.,, issues of compatibility with FCP and Avid OMFs etc are so annoying.. it should be SO much easier !... logic looks very tired and clunky sometimes.
Sign In or Register to comment.