New and need more info?!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Okay I don't need to go into to further detail about the hardware I currently own after starting a thread left me with a little heartbreak with the reception I received. you can read hear, http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=73427, Just so I can kinda of get an idea what type of programs are you guys running so I can kinda of figure out the kind of workflow you are actually putting your macs through. This is my current list:

Transmission

Microsoft office 2004

iTunes

Mail

iChat

Firefox

Vlc

I've also added the specs of my iBook for you guys to help me see the light:

* 512K L2 cache @1.33GHz

* 512MB memory (DDR333 SDRAM)

* 1024 x 768 resolution

* ATI Mobility Radeon 9550

* 32MB DDR video memory

* 40GB Ultra ATA hard drive

* Built-in AirPort Extreme

* Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

* Scrolling Trackpad

* Sudden Motion Sensor

* Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger

i'm just wanting to know cause I thought for me that this iBook has handled everything with flying colors. I've noticed great differences with this machine than a pc. Just curious if people could kinda of give me a listing of what they use their macs for and what type of mac they have and specs. This would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I have a:

PowerBook G4 1.67ghz

1.5GB ram

15"

80gb hard drive

2x250gb LaCie hard drives, one USB and FAT32, the other FireWire and macosx journaled

all the other things you'd expect.

I use my computer for downloading a lot (I use a lot of the 500gb of space I have).

I use Aperture to manage the photos I take as well as to make minor adjustments.

I am slowly learning Photoshop

I often, well, lets say, very often, help people switch to mac which is why i have a FAT drive to move their crap.

I use VLC, iChat, Aperture, OmniWeb, iTunes, MS Office, Adobe CS2, Mail, Azureus, and I love to try new programs all the time (234 items in my Applications folder). I also love to tweak the interface.

I would say that my computer is not nearly fast enough for what I do. Sure, some would say it is, but I love having 5 things open at once. The problem is, if I am downloading a season on iTunes and then try to run Aperture, I'm going to have a lot of beachballs and things will be uberslow. I really feel I need a MBP, and I'd like the highest end one. Though, I will not upgrade till Santa Rosa comes out with Robson tech. That will make my computer just about two years old and I'll be getting a very Significant upgrade, rather than a temporary upgrade.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    tekmatetekmate Posts: 134member
    I have a Powerbook G4 1.5ghz and I surf, do a little HTML work and play a few games.

My programs are:

FireFox

Camino

Photoshop

NVU

NeoOffice

These comprise 75% of what I do.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Current Mac laptop:

12.1" iBook G3 900mhz G3

640mb RAM

40GB hard drive

Combo Drive

Airport

To be replaced by the 2ghz macbook (preferably REV.C) later this year.

Workload on this machine

Firefox (Safari has a better interface, but is far less stable)

Microsoft Office X

Acrobat

Occasionally photography stuff with Kodak's or HP's software but it taxes the machine a lot and lack of a card reader is a pain.

Used to try to game and do heavier stuff, but I went through 4 motherboards replacements.

Desktop: Currently a HP. Bren looking for a true Mac replacement to by B&W G3 since 2004 and nothing Apple has come up with are able to best its mix of price and features.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Thanks keep it coming. To the guys above would you say that you are ready to jump to the core 2 duo bandwagon or are you just fine with your current setups. After some research I found out that yes the core 2 duo is amazing advance in technology, but do u find yourselfs lacking and craving for the new intel macs. I guess what I'm trying to find out is if there are people out there that see things from my standpoint? Which looks like this: current college student wanting a laptop but didn't want to buy a windows-based pc and sought after owning a mac. Under careful review and research found that a intel mac wouldn't be used for the potential it was built for. So I thought too my self if I'm going to only use it for basic functions such as e-mail, surfing internet and downloading whatever then why spend over a $1000 on a mac that would only be used for mediocore task when I could spend over $300 less and get a brand new ibook that does everything I need it to? Don't get me wrong I love technology and I love how right now macs are 99.9% virus free can run windows (intel macs) and still perform with flying colors, but on the pratical side just couldn't see spending over $1000 for technology that I wouldn't be taking full advantage of.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    tekmatetekmate Posts: 134member
    I was going to sell mine and buy a MacBook and then I decided the only reason I wanted a MacBook was so I could dual boot Linux. I can do that on the current system so I am going to wait.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Current Mac

MBP 2.16 ghz Core 2 Duo

Apps:

MS office

iWorks

iLife, especially iPhoto

iCal

Soon hope to istall Parrallels and Win Xp

BTW, the best machine I've ever owned.