20-something professionals say they'll plunk down $150 for the UpStage

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Well, at least me. There were crates upon crates of UpStages in the store room at the Sprint store, so evidently there are people that want them or Sprint thinks there are.

After half a day of screwing around with it, I'm a fan. It is a really slick phone, and if you can accept the fact that the music functionality isn't great, you'll probably like it too. For comparison, it's about as functional as a music player as is the shuffle. Using the flip button isn't a big deal. I think Samsung did a good job with the UI, too. A better touchpad would violate Apple patents, so that's unfortunately the only let down.

Downsides: the pad on the big-screen side is hard to use. I'm having trouble getting used to it. There's a sensitivity control panel, but I still haven't been able to really dial it in. In fact, I'm having enough trouble with it that I have no desire to go through the trouble of using it to buy music from Sprint. Maybe this will change.

Upsides: It's small and attractive as a phone and feels very well-made. For men, the wallet is better left at home, and the phone is so slim that it almost disappears in a side pocket. For the women, it will protect the two sides of the phone while it's banging around in a purse. There's a lot of battery in the wallet. . . . A lot. Over the next few days I'll see how long it lasts for general usage.

BTW: the road trip begins tomorrow. I got the navigation package, so I'll let you know for sure if that's cool. I will hopefully be able to field questions on Sunday night.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,125member
    Sounds pretty cool.

I'm a 30-something that needs a bit more help on the scheduling part but that phone certainly sounds cool for those don't need so much "direction"
  • Reply 2 of 6
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    It looks like a cool phone but I can't stand dealing with Sprint. I was way too happy when my contract with them was finally up.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fran441 View Post

It looks like a cool phone but I can't stand dealing with Sprint. I was way too happy when my contract with them was finally up.

There are people I know who have had bad luck with all of the different providers, but I think T-mobile and Verizon seem to have the most unhappy customers. Sprint has been very good to me. Verizon was a nightmare.

Anyway, I finished the road trip and the battery life for general usage is very long. With the wallet included, I don't think I'm down to even 70% capacity after four days and a fair amount of talk time, probably around 100 minutes total. I've also gotten better at using the touchpad, but it's still not as good a system as the iPod's.

In addition, I played around on the internet and the music store for a bit last night. I think the Sprint wireless "power vision" is faster than my broadband connection. It screams. It's faster than the public access WiFi in Mountain View, CA and the hotel wireless at the hotel I'm in right now.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Misleading headlines for $300, Alex.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KamiNoYadoru View Post

Misleading headlines for $300, Alex.

Alex?

Anyway, the price is $150 when beginning or renewing a contract. The iPhone's $500 price tag has the same stipulations, so it's only fair.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 29,495member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

There are people I know who have had bad luck with all of the different providers, but I think T-mobile and Verizon seem to have the most unhappy customers. Sprint has been very good to me. Verizon was a nightmare.

T-mobile has been fine for me, I switched to them thanks to Sprint's horrible customer service. I'd never use Sprint again, even if it meant I'd have to eat my own leg as an alternative.