System Preferences won't open?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Here's a tricky one...two nights ago, something went awry with my 1.33 15" Powerbook, and I couldn't empty the Trash. When I reset the computer, I got a bunch of code and this creepy "panic: we are hanging here" message that I'm sure is old news (stolen from someone else on Flickr):

I had been running OSX 10.4. In retrospect, this may have not been the wisest thing to do, but I restored OSX from my roommate's 10.3.3 restore disk for his iBook, not the one I had for my Powerbook, because it had an older version of OSX (10.2). The computer recognized the disc and the restore went without incident, and now OSX loads and I can get on the internet but everything moves REALLY SLOWLY (I've got 768 MB of RAM...I could probably use more, but the Firefox icon bounces around a dozen times before it opens) and, most importantly, System Preferences won't open. No error message; it just won't open.

Anyone got any tips for how to handle this? I've got a growing feeling that I'm going to have to completely wipe the drive and start all over (if you think that's true, any advice on what the best way to do this would be a big help).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    The biggest problem is probably the fact the installed drivers are for the ibook and nit the powerbook which would cause the slowdowns quite badly.

If you can get a hold of a retail version of 10.4 it would make a world of difference and the normal speed would be back again.