Give it to me...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So, by my name alone you should have a feel for what I'm about to ask...it's a loaded question.

I've been on a PC in my own Marketing Business. For 10 years I've handled everything from graphic design to getting the product out the door. I need a new system and in talking to a plethora of people everyone is advising me to go with the Mac Pro. I would like to just go out and buy a 24" iMac and if it could handle my workload for even a couple years I would pass it on to my daughter and then cough up for the Mac Pro. I'm just not that convinced I need the Pro at this time. I know zero about Macs, I've never worked on one but after much research I feel that it would probably make me a happy business women to go that route.

I would like to install Adobe Creative Suite 3 and probably some of Apple's suites for everyday computing. What I want to know is the iMac going to have the power? In the near future I'll be working with more web based and animation apps.

Questio #2 I put off the purchase at the onset of 2007 because I wanted the latest operating system, now I see Leopard is being delayed till October. This is really pissing me off! So please anybody give me your opinion on which system and should I wait?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    The 24 in iMac will probably be fine. With the 2.3 ghz chip you'll probably have all the power you'll need. Several posters at the forums here have the 24 in iMac and all seem quite pleased with it (see the link http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=72985). Many people are reporting that CS3 is quite fast on the intel Macs. If you're close to an Apple store go and take one for a test drive. Then you'll know for sure if it's for you.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I have a 20in iMac at work and it does wonders. Running Creative Suite 2 in Rosetta works well enough for my needs, though I am not a pro designer. CS3 runs native and so should be pretty slck. (Hope to upgrade - was just checking it out tonight - as soon as Adobe will ship to Japan...)

The 24 has similar specs to the 20 and I think it should do you quite well. I have a G5 dual core machine at home (a couple of years old now), but when I replace it, I will go with an iMac. The Pro i just too costly for me and the iMacs are quite capable machines.

As for Leopard being postponed, get your iMac now and enjoy it. It won't put you out that much money and will work very well for a couple of years before you give it to your daughter (unoess she grabs it at an earlier point!). Leopard may or may not be stable until the first update which could be a couple of months after the initial release. I wouldn't count on buying Leopard until the turn of the year.

BTW, welcome to AI.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

The 24 in iMac will probably be fine. With the 2.3 ghz chip you'll probably have all the power you'll need. Several posters at the forums here have the 24 in iMac and all seem quite pleased with it (see the link http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=72985). Many people are reporting that CS3 is quite fast on the intel Macs. If you're close to an Apple store go and take one for a test drive. Then you'll know for sure if it's for you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I have a 20in iMac at work and it does wonders. Running Creative Suite 2 in Rosetta works well enough for my needs, though I am not a pro designer. CS3 runs native and so should be pretty slck. (Hope to upgrade - was just checking it out tonight - as soon as Adobe will ship to Japan...)

The 24 has similar specs to the 20 and I think it should do you quite well. I have a G5 dual core machine at home (a couple of years old now), but when I replace it, I will go with an iMac. The Pro i just too costly for me and the iMacs are quite capable machines.

As for Leopard being postponed, get your iMac now and enjoy it. It won't put you out that much money and will work very well for a couple of years before you give it to your daughter (unoess she grabs it at an earlier point!). Leopard may or may not be stable until the first update which could be a couple of months after the initial release. I wouldn't count on buying Leopard until the turn of the year.

BTW, welcome to AI.

Totally agree. Couldn't have said it better. Yeah, iMac is 2.16 or 2.33ghz, go for 2GB RAM, you can upgrade to 3GB when 2GB so-dimm sticks are cheaper down the line.

As you mention, if you end up doing more intense stuff you can go the Mac Pro. iMac 20" is a good start. 24" is pretty huge, may be too much desktop space, but it is luscious.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

...CS3 runs native and so should be pretty slck...

Heh! I haven't heard "sick" being used in that way since my uni days in Australia... Like, "fully sick mate... fully sick....!"

Quote:

(Hope to upgrade - was just checking it out tonight - as soon as Adobe will ship to Japan...)

Official launch in Malaysia is 23rd April (Shangri-La Hotel KL). I know not yet of stock flow and pricing.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Pretty S-L-I-C-K catch on my typo!

Adobe Japan doesn't show anything on CS3 yet...
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Pretty S-L-I-C-K catch on my typo!

Adobe Japan doesn't show anything on CS3 yet...

Heh, in high skool and uni in Brisbane, Australia for a while we were all saying as well, like, "Filth!!!" as in "really cool"

Yeah I google-translated http://events.adobe.co.uk/events/cgi...cgi?country=jp

and doesn't look like any CS3 stuff in Japan this month. Weird.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Bergermeister, for the link above do the Japanese characters show up correctly? In Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Mac it looks okay, in Safari I got a lot of weird "diamond with question mark in it" characters... like almost the whole page.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Bergermeister, for the link above do the Japanese characters show up correctly? In Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Mac it looks okay, in Safari I got a lot of weird "diamond with question mark in it" characters... like almost the whole page.

View -> Text Encoding -> Default?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

View -> Text Encoding -> Default?

Cool thanks. I had to change it to View -> Text Encoding -- Japanese (Shift JIS) or (Shift JIS X0213)
  • Reply 10 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSomeday View Post

I've been on a PC in my own Marketing Business. For 10 years I've handled everything from graphic design to getting the product out the door. I need a new system and in talking to a plethora of people everyone is advising me to go with the Mac Pro. I would like to just go out and buy a 24" iMac and if it could handle my workload for even a couple years I would pass it on to my daughter and then cough up for the Mac Pro. I'm just not that convinced I need the Pro at this time. I know zero about Macs, I've never worked on one but after much research I feel that it would probably make me a happy business women to go that route.

I would like to install Adobe Creative Suite 3 and probably some of Apple's suites for everyday computing. What I want to know is the iMac going to have the power? In the near future I'll be working with more web based and animation apps.

Questio #2 I put off the purchase at the onset of 2007 because I wanted the latest operating system, now I see Leopard is being delayed till October. This is really pissing me off! So please anybody give me your opinion on which system and should I wait?

I'd get the Mac Pro.

The low end one (quad 2GHz) is priced close to a 24" iMac.

The iMac screen quality isn't all that good IMO, you are far better off with a large CRT and you can get them dirt cheap now, especially if you do print work.

The throughput of the Mac Pro is much higher than the iMac. The iMac is a laptop dressed up like a desktop with mobile components e.g slower system bus, 5400rpm scratch disk vs 7200rpm - you can upgrade the iMac of course but take that into consideration

You are getting 4 processing cores instead of two so for multithreaded apps like CS3, you should see a big difference when rendering complex filters and things.

If you want an iMac then I would wait, if you want a Mac Pro, no. I don't think that the Mac Pro will see an update for a while since it just got an octo upgrade with a custom Xeon chip. I doubt they'd revamp the lineup so quickly.

I am a little biased against the iMac and I have a relative who is a professional designer who has a 20" one and his boss has a 24" one so it may well do fine but I do some work in film and I am really picky about screen quality and the iMac just doesn't cut it for me in terms of color accuracy and sharpness.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Cool thanks. I had to change it to View -> Text Encoding -- Japanese (Shift JIS) or (Shift JIS X0213)

That's it... sometimes you need to change it, sometimes you don't.

We also said something like "filthy!" for radically cool, but I think it was a phrase coined just at my skuul.

---

Adobe is possibly acting lke Apple Japan: they won't release in-country until they have a localised version of the operating manuals; the app is probably ready to go (hope they allow shifting of menus as Apple apps do: sys prefs - international - language will allow you to change between english, Japanese and many other languages that are supported). This really is a drag somtimes on Apple's part and it can take months before new apps are released here. Could be what is slowing down the release of Leopard (I am not entirely kidding).

---

JUST RELEASED: Apple released Final Cut Studio 2

Probably too expensive for my non-academic budget...

---

I have an Apple Cinema Diplay (23") and use it alot. I also use my iMac alot for the same apps and files. I have never calibrated my screens for color coordination with my printer as it has only occasionally ben a priblem for me and after a few prints I have come to learn the difference and know what to expect. The wife, on the otherhand, does occasionally complain on both machines, so we might invest in a color checker.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'd get the Mac Pro.

The iMac screen quality isn't all that good IMO, you are far better off with a large CRT and you can get them dirt cheap now, especially if you do print work.

The throughput of the Mac Pro is much higher than the iMac. The iMac is a laptop dressed up like a desktop with mobile components e.g slower system bus, 5400rpm scratch disk vs 7200rpm - you can upgrade the iMac of course but take that into consideration

You are getting 4 processing cores instead of two so for multithreaded apps like CS3, you should see a big difference when rendering complex filters and things.

If you want an iMac then I would wait, if you want a Mac Pro, no. I don't think that the Mac Pro will see an update for a while since it just got an octo upgrade with a custom Xeon chip. I doubt they'd revamp the lineup so quickly.

I am a little biased against the iMac and I have a relative who is a professional designer who has a 20" one and his boss has a 24" one so it may well do fine but I do some work in film and I am really picky about screen quality and the iMac just doesn't cut it for me in terms of color accuracy and sharpness.

Can't disagree much with what you've said. I would suspect however that you've got a far more discriminating eye than most users with respect to displays. I find the iMac displays of good quality but obviously if they go bad then you loose the whole machine. Again I would suggest the OP visit an Apple store and see one for themselves.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'd get the Mac Pro.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Can't disagree much with what you've said. I would suspect however that you've got a far more discriminating eye than most users with respect to displays. I find the iMac displays of good quality but obviously if they go bad then you loose the hole machine. Again I would suggest the OP visit an Apple store and see one for themselves.

Interesting points... However I must point out the iMacs all have 7200rpm SATA drives.