Sluggish performance

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
In the past few weeks, I've noticed a significant slowdown in performance on apps being run when waking up my Rev A Intel iMac from sleep. Windows take a good 30 seconds to wake from sleep in some cases.

What makes me suspicious is that is some of the free but proprietary apps that I've installed that asked for my admin password, such as Adobe Reader. The reason I tried to install that particular program is because I tried to read the PDF of my provincial tax return, and the site got confused when it "didn't detect a running copy of Adobe Reader" on my system. Idiots.... but I digress. There were also a couple of programs that I stupidly continued to install after getting the admin password prompt.

Since none of these programs has any uninstall dialogue, I'm wondering if it would be worth my while to do a clean reinstall with the install DVDs that came with my iMac.

To make matters worse, I just launched the "About This Mac" window, and it refuses to close. I appears in the same position, and I can't even move it. Nothing seems to get rid of it.

Is it a good idea to do a clean reinstall? If so, what's the best way to back up all my preferences before I do so? I want to do the least amount of restore work as possible.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Running to do a clean reinstall might not be the BEST thing to do just yet. There's a couple of things you can do to try and correct it without going through that hassle. First, download OnyX and run the automation scripts. WHen that's done, restart and try it out. Let me know what happens...