Best Game Controller for Mac-Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a PC as well as a Xbox 360 and have played games on both. Now that I'm becoming more of a Mac person though I will get into some mac gaming. I'm trying to avoid having to buy too many controllers. Most of the games I'm fine with a gamepad but I like car racing games so a wheel controller would be nice. What I'm looking at is possibly the Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows so that I can use the same controllers on both my XBox 360 and PC. My question, has anyone tried using this on a Mac?

If not I am interested in any suggestions of good gaming controllers for the Mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

I have a PC as well as a Xbox 360 and have played games on both. Now that I'm becoming more of a Mac person though I will get into some mac gaming. I'm trying to avoid having to buy too many controllers. Most of the games I'm fine with a gamepad but I like car racing games so a wheel controller would be nice. What I'm looking at is possibly the Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows so that I can use the same controllers on both my XBox 360 and PC. My question, has anyone tried using this on a Mac?

If not I am interested in any suggestions of good gaming controllers for the Mac.

From what I remember, the XBOX 360 controller for Windows has a USB plug on it but isn't a true USB device. So I don't think it would work on a Mac (including use with USB OverDrive). But I could be wrong.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    OS X Xbox 360 controller driver

I also have a 360 and a Mac, and I haven't tried this myself, but looks like it does work.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

OS X Xbox 360 controller driver

I also have a 360 and a Mac, and I haven't tried this myself, but looks like it does work.

yes xbox 360 controllers work find on mac...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by glady12 View Post

i just got a game (FLight Simulator X) and it says you can use an Xbox 360 contoller and i was wondering if it is possible to do this with a wireless Xbox controller if i have the charging wire that uses the Usb. i plugged it in but it ownt work. HELP!!! best answers goes to the Best answer that actually helps

The wireless controller will not work with a Mac/PC without the use of the wireless controller adapter, and as far as I know, that only works in Windows. The charging cable you have is just that... a charger and nothing more. Ideally, you want to find a used wired 360 controller because those work without issue in Windows and OS X. Doesn't even have to be Microsoft branded. I got mine for $10 used at Gamestop.