First Mac is on it's way, but need advice on hard drives and wireless networking

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
WOOHOO!!!! I finally got tired of waiting for Cupertino to make up its mind on new hardware, so I ordered one of the refurb Mac Pro 3.0s. The machine had just about everything I need, except enough HD space and wireless networking. So, two questions:

- Is there any advantage to getting an Apple hard drive versus the much less expensive third party drives (e.g. Maxtor, Western Digital, et al)?

- Has anyone installed the Bluetooth and 802.11n adapters into these machines? The guys at the Apple store said it was a fairly complex procedure, but somehow I'm not buying it. Any advice?

Thanks in advance for your help! I'm stoked!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Not sure I understand #1. Apple does not manufacture hard drives, or even sells them seperately, only as BTO. They put their logo on them as an OEM but the brands they use vary; they could be Maxtor, Seagate, WD, etc. So, yet, you can purchase a 3rd party HD and install it into your Mac Pro.

#2, I'm not sure. It used to be a simple procedure but I have yet to look into it any further. I wonder if there are PCI soltions?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Not sure I understand #1. Apple does not manufacture hard drives, or even sells them seperately, only as BTO. They put their logo on them as an OEM but the brands they use vary; they could be Maxtor, Seagate, WD, etc. So, yet, you can purchase a 3rd party HD and install it into your Mac Pro.

#2, I'm not sure. It used to be a simple procedure but I have yet to look into it any further. I wonder if there are PCI soltions?

For #1, I figured that might be the case but I wasn't sure. Now I can just go buy a third-party drive and feel comfortable about it.

For #2, I'll wait to hear about any experiences people here have had before I go forward. I wonder if I can just buy the module from the Mac store and have them install it?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ex-Windows-Fanboy View Post

For #1, I figured that might be the case but I wasn't sure. Now I can just go buy a third-party drive and feel comfortable about it.

For #2, I'll wait to hear about any experiences people here have had before I go forward. I wonder if I can just buy the module from the Mac store and have them install it?

I had the guys at the Apple Store install it for me. The parts are a little tricky to source, the installation is not massively difficult but involves fine antenna wires and small screws.

Warning. Get them to meet you at the loading dock. Carrying the Mac Pro is a major workout.

C.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    feartecfeartec Posts: 119member
    The only advantage I see for #1 is the HD's Apple puts it logo on is it looks cool.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Thanks for all your help. I've ordered a Maxtor Pro as a data drive and am resigned to just taking the thing the Apple store to have BT/wireless installed (assuming my refurbed machine doesn't have it installed already as a "bonus").