Battery Issues.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an 8 month old MacBook Pro.

At 245 cycles, my MBP battery is down to 41% battery health.

Is this normal? If not normal, is there any way I can improve my battery health?

(I'm calibrating my battery tonight)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Is this normal? If not normal, is there any way I can improve my battery health?

So you did one full discharge/charge cycle PER DAY?!? The capacity seems OK for that kind of stress to the battery. They only last 300 to perhaps 500 cycles... But I don't think you can improve the already heavily degraded battery now.

Prepare to buy a new one soon (from my experience, the battery is considered a consumable and therefore not covered by Apple's one-year warranty) and then strictly follow Apple's guidelines for recharging and calibrating the new battery. For example, never let the battery run down completely except for calibration. Lithium-ion batteries like it better when topped every now and then - whenever a power outlet is available, as they don't have the memory-effect seen in NiCad and NiMH batteries.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I just calibrated my MBP battery the other day and have found a reduction in battery life (about 25%). The machine is only a month old.

Strange, so I might calibrate again.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwoodpecker View Post

So you did one full discharge/charge cycle PER DAY?!? The capacity seems OK for that kind of stress to the battery. They only last 300 to perhaps 500 cycles... But I don't think you can improve the already heavily degraded battery now.

Prepare to buy a new one soon (from my experience, the battery is considered a consumable and therefore not covered by Apple's one-year warranty) and then strictly follow Apple's guidelines for recharging and calibrating the new battery. For example, never let the battery run down completely except for calibration. Lithium-ion batteries like it better when topped every now and then - whenever a power outlet is available, as they don't have the memory-effect seen in NiCad and NiMH batteries.

Yup, 245 cycles will do that to your battery. 1 cycle per day will bring your battery to 40% capacity -ish within a year. Or earlier, in your case. \
  • Reply 4 of 4
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwoodpecker View Post

Pretty much every day, yeah.

I've thought about a new battery. I think midway through the first semester the capacity dropped quite a lot-- so much that I could only make it through one class without the adapter. Now I have to use every conceivable power saving technique short of dimming the screen to its lowest level just to make it through one 85 minute class. Not pleasant. So I'll probably get a new one for next semester.

Already on my second power adapter, too. The cable on the old adapters used to fray near the connector. Now they fray near the power brick. So I've become more careful this time around- wrapping it gently and making sure I don't yank or stress it unnecessarily.