A Smarter Phone?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
"A curvaceous Do-it-all cellphone with a giant touchscree: No, it's not the much hyped iPhone. It's the open-source Neo1973."

I was reading about this phone in Pupular Science and was wondering if anyone else has heard about it. Any amateur hacker can write an application or tweak the OpenMoko Linux OS. Its pretty much like "widgets." Then the average user can go to the website and download the apps of their choice.

price: 350

the website is openmoko.org, check it out and tell me what ya guys think about it. Personally I think it's really ugly, has a stupid name, and will be crushed by the iPhone if the Neo gets any hype to begin with.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cato988 View Post

"A curvaceous Do-it-all cellphone with a giant touchscree: No, it's not the much hyped iPhone. It's the open-source Neo1973."

I was reading about this phone in Pupular Science and was wondering if anyone else has heard about it. Any amateur hacker can write an application or tweak the OpenMoko Linux OS. Its pretty much like "widgets." Then the average user can go to the website and download the apps of their choice.

price: 350

the website is openmoko.org, check it out and tell me what ya guys think about it. Personally I think it's really ugly, has a stupid name, and will be crushed by the iPhone if the Neo gets any hype to begin with.

I think it's missing a few very important elements. Who would spend that on a phone without a camera? It's almost an essential feature and people kind of expect it. Only 64MB memory vs 4GB or 8GB, though SD cards can sort of make up for that.

Open Moko has no wifi. No OS X so without question the applications won't be as good. It only has USB 1, which is pretty poor but I guess if you get a USB 2 card reader for an SD card it might be ok.

http://www.linuxtogo.org/gowiki/OpenMoko/iPhone

Even though it's cheaper, for what it offers, it looks expensive just like the iphone but at least with the iphone you get an ipod too and all the cool gadgets like accelerometer and light sensors etc.