best buy marketing appletv as digital media recorder...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
and it's being sold next to tivos. is it me, or is that terribly incorrect? although i understand that you can "record" media onto the hard drive, it's my understanding there's no way to record from regular tv, at least not w/o a complicated workaround. did i miss something, or is best buy just screwing up?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 9
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdconway View Post


    and it's being sold next to tivos. is it me, or is that terribly incorrect? although i understand that you can "record" media onto the hard drive, it's my understanding there's no way to record from regular tv, at least not w/o a complicated workaround. did i miss something, or is best buy just screwing up?



    Just a screwup...



    The million dollar question is.... Is it Best Buys screw-up or Apples?



    D
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I don't see in what way Apple would control where their products end up in Best Buy stores. At my Best Buy, iPods and iPod accessories are all over the place.



    "Digital Media Recorder" is a really dumb product category anyway. A MiniDisc box is a "digital media recorder."
  • Reply 3 of 9
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    According to their website, it's an HDTV Tuner.



    Seriously, our Best Buy has had an Apple TV hooked up to a Windows PC for weeks, but it's not actually on display anywhere.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    but it's more evidence that best buy isn't making a strong effort to educate its customers about apple products. my concern is that people are going to buy it thinking it's a tivo, and will be real pissed when they realize they can't (easily) record tv with it.



    just an issue someone from apple should address with best buy. apple should have a traveling apple rep come in to best buys to educate best buy employees and maybe hold little demonstrations for customers.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post


    I don't see in what way Apple would control where their products end up in Best Buy stores. At my Best Buy, iPods and iPod accessories are all over the place.



    "Digital Media Recorder" is a really dumb product category anyway. A MiniDisc box is a "digital media recorder."



    I guess you didn't catch my subtle dig at APPLE...



    when I said was it BB's screw-up or Apples I was really referring to the fact that Apple should have added just a tad more functionality to the AppleTV. Everyone knows the consumer electronic markets that already exist.



    - Some form of DVD Player

    - Some form of DVR / PVR

    - Some form of Satellite Receiver



    Apple chose (wisely or not) to not fit in any of those markets - instead they chose to remove normal and expected features and claim it as somehow being better.... So, with that said, what are companies like BB to do when it comes time to put them in the showroom?



    Dave
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post


    instead they chose to remove normal and expected features and claim it as somehow being better....



    I don't see how DVD, PVR, or Satellite reception are "normal" and "expected" features of a box which was never announced as anything but a way to get your iTunes content onto your TV.



    Should my cable box be a DVD player? Should my HD rabbit-ears antenna also be a satellite receiver? Should my digital picture frame be a PVR?



    AppleTV is a new product, one that's very much a part of Apple's iTunes/iPod ecosystem. Adding the above features would have been a) applesauce in a blender, since likely AppleTV users already have a DVD player, b) not attractive to Apple since it wouldn't push any further sales of Apple products or iTunes content while at the same time raising the price.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post


    So, with that said, what are companies like BB to do when it comes time to put them in the showroom?



    Same thing they do with other novel and specialized devices - avoid categorizing them beyond "Home entertainment".
  • Reply 7 of 9
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post


    So, with that said, what are companies like BB to do when it comes time to put them in the showroom?



    They should accurately display and describe the products features and abilities. Not classify it as something it isn't because you or they feel that it is lacking functions.



    It's sort of scary to me that Apple is working with Best Buy to carry their products. It was bad enough finding someone in a CompUSA who knew about Macs. Given my experiences with BB it'll be even more difficult there.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post


    They should accurately display and describe the products features and abilities. Not classify it as something it isn't because you or they feel that it is lacking functions.



    It's sort of scary to me that Apple is working with Best Buy to carry their products. It was bad enough finding someone in a CompUSA who knew about Macs. Given my experiences with BB it'll be even more difficult there.



    Lets not be ignorant here folks...



    EVERY FREAKIN RETAILER IN THE WORLD HAS 'PRODUCT AREAS'



    Be it food stores (bread isle, dairy isle, pet food isle, frozen food isle,etc)

    Be it Movie stores (Drama, Comedies, TV Shows, Action/Adventure, etc)

    Be it Drug stores (Deodorant, Hair Care, Makeup, etc)



    Consumer electronic stores do to!



    For example Best Buys as well as all of the other brick-n-moarter stores have stuff in 'areas'



    Area A with big banners proclaiming "DVD Players Here!"

    Area B with big banners proclaiming "DVR/PVRS Here!"

    Area C with big banners proclaiming "Satellite TV Here!"

    Area D with big banners proclaiming "Flat Panel TVs Here!"

    Area E with big banners proclaiming "Home Audio Here!"

    Area F with big banners proclaiming "Game Systems Here!"



    etc etc etc



    Now what area do you put Apple TV so salesmen can sell it?



    If you think they're gonna cordon off a 'uber-special area' for all the devices that do what the Apple TV does isn't only optimistic thinking it's delusional thinking as well. Lets face it the Apple TV is the only product of its kind and until and unless Apple TV starts selling like the iPod is the stores just aren't going to give it a 'spotlight area' all for itself.



    Now excluding 'the faithful' (you know who you are) and the hackers (thank god for them), Apple TV just isn't going to take off not until or unless the hackers or Apple adds something more compelling to the mix...



    Lets face trying to sell a device to Mr. New-HDTV-Owner that sole function is the ability to play a crappy selection of movies sold on iTunes Movie store at DVD prices but without DVD quality or extras or sound quality just isn't gonna fly.



    Oh yea it'll play your homemade movies and photo slideshows too... (lol)



    Dave
  • Reply 9 of 9
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post


    Lets not be ignorant here folks...



    EVERY FREAKIN RETAILER IN THE WORLD HAS 'PRODUCT AREAS'



    Be it food stores (bread isle, dairy isle, pet food isle, frozen food isle,etc)

    Be it Movie stores (Drama, Comedies, TV Shows, Action/Adventure, etc)

    Be it Drug stores (Deodorant, Hair Care, Makeup, etc)



    Consumer electronic stores do to!



    For example Best Buys as well as all of the other brick-n-moarter stores have stuff in 'areas'



    Area A with big banners proclaiming "DVD Players Here!"

    Area B with big banners proclaiming "DVR/PVRS Here!"

    Area C with big banners proclaiming "Satellite TV Here!"

    Area D with big banners proclaiming "Flat Panel TVs Here!"

    Area E with big banners proclaiming "Home Audio Here!"

    Area F with big banners proclaiming "Game Systems Here!"



    etc etc etc



    Now what area do you put Apple TV so salesmen can sell it?



    If you think they're gonna cordon off a 'uber-special area' for all the devices that do what the Apple TV does isn't only optimistic thinking it's delusional thinking as well. Lets face it the Apple TV is the only product of its kind and until and unless Apple TV starts selling like the iPod is the stores just aren't going to give it a 'spotlight area' all for itself.



    Now excluding 'the faithful' (you know who you are) and the hackers (thank god for them), Apple TV just isn't going to take off not until or unless the hackers or Apple adds something more compelling to the mix...



    Lets face trying to sell a device to Mr. New-HDTV-Owner that sole function is the ability to play a crappy selection of movies sold on iTunes Movie store at DVD prices but without DVD quality or extras or sound quality just isn't gonna fly.



    Oh yea it'll play your homemade movies and photo slideshows too... (lol)



    Dave



    Whatever. Have a good day.
Sign In or Register to comment.