Download manager

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi,



I tend to just download through Safari. Do many people here use download managers? Which do you use and what do you think of it? If shareware, is it worth it?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,217moderator
    I used to use Speed Download and I thought it was good because you could limit the download speeds and sometimes it would make multiple connections to make the downloads quicker but since Safari got its resume function and I got fast broadband, using a download manager was more hassle than it was worth. They use a plugin to initiate the download from a browser and sometimes links wouldn't get passed onto the download manager so files would go to different places and it just got messy.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Wait Safari doesn't have a download manager? I have used Safari maybe for MAYBE a day, I downloaded Camino the day I got my Mac. I knew it from school, so that's what I downloaded when I got mine. Try it out, I think it's a lot better then Safari.



    ...Camino is free too



    www.caminobrowser.com
  • Reply 3 of 6
    iGetter is the best download manager there is
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post


    Wait Safari doesn't have a download manager? I have used Safari maybe for MAYBE a day, I downloaded Camino the day I got my Mac. I knew it from school, so that's what I downloaded when I got mine. Try it out, I think it's a lot better then Safari.



    ...Camino is free too



    www.caminobrowser.com



    I think you are confused about what download manager means.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archstudent View Post


    I think you are confused about what download manager means.



    very possible...you can pause and cancel downloads...I thought thats what they were...what the hell do I know lol
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post


    very possible...you can pause and cancel downloads...I thought thats what they were...what the hell do I know lol



    well thats sort of basic functionality.. you can usually do it in the browser. download managers that are standalone programs do all kinds of other stuff.. like downloading using segments which makes the download way faster.. like if I download with iGetter its generally I'd say around 2-4x faster than downloading it in safari.
Sign In or Register to comment.