HD Video Kona Capture from Sat Receiver...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I know... I know. Believe me, I'm not planning on recording any copyrighted material. I just want to explore the full abilities of my system.

My Mac G5 is dedicated for use as an editing system. However, I have yet to create an HD project.

Enter my new DirecTV Satellite DVR. Digi Optical Audio Out alongside stereo RCAs, Component and HDMI video out on the video side... standard stuff. The Kona3 only inputs via SDI and XLR audio. Yes, I know it's encrypted... a worthy challenge then, right?

I've already begun the research on my own, but I'm sure there are a couple of geniuses out there who know precisely where to look.

What I'm hoping for is any kind of single apparatus or combination solution of hardware/software to bridge the gap between the DVR's HD programming and my Mac capture inputs.

I've seen standalone HD recording systems like the R5000-HD, but it's PC only. EyeTV is a nice solution for ATSC viewing and capture, but has nothing to do with the purposes I need, nor any compatible inputs from the DVR. Kramer Electronics' FC-7501 has a handy Component to SDI converter, but I don't think that will embed audio... so I'm still missing a vital key.

Maybe I'm making this harder than it needs to be... any solutions?