New MacBooks Between Now and Leopard?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've gotta buy a new laptop for college (starts in late Aug., before the scheduled Leopard release), and am wondering if I should just flush the cash out and buy a MBPro now, or hold out a little longer.



Does anyone believe there will be a hardware update before 10.5 comes out? Would that update be wise to wait for (as in, it facilitates easy update to Leopard/would run Leopard faster)? You guys think they will release new laptops at the WWDC maybe?



Thanks in advance!

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,227member
    Of course. Intel has a May date for shipping Centrino Pro so that fits well within your timeframe. Even if they have a slight delay you'll still have new hardware before school IMO.



    Search the forums for "Santa Rosa" for more information.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r1400sch View Post


    I've gotta buy a new laptop for college (starts in late Aug., before the scheduled Leopard release), and am wondering if I should just flush the cash out and buy a MBPro now, or hold out a little longer.



    Does anyone believe there will be a hardware update before 10.5 comes out? Would that update be wise to wait for (as in, it facilitates easy update to Leopard/would run Leopard faster)? You guys think they will release new laptops at the WWDC maybe?



    Thanks in advance!



    My advice would be to hold out, my friend. If I were in your shoes (and I wish I were!) I'd wait until the last POSSIBLE moment, up to and including the first week of classes. It wouldn't kill you to crank out a couple of papers in campus computer labs...
  • Reply 3 of 12
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    Of course. Intel has a May date for shipping Centrino Pro so that fits well within your timeframe. Even if they have a slight delay you'll still have new hardware before school IMO.



    Search the forums for "Santa Rosa" for more information.



    I agree. If it's for school get it after the hardware update, (hopefully there will be one) and wait on Leopard with that hardware.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    There should be new MBPs out with Santa Rosa anytime after Intel officially introduces it, rumored to be May 9. I'm waiting for one of those myself. If it isn't announced in May, it might be on June 11 at WWDC.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    feartecfeartec Posts: 119member
    I hear from the grapevine that LapBook, the new MacBook should be out in 1-2 months.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,209moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feartec View Post


    I hear from the grapevine that LapBook, the new MacBook should be out in 1-2 months.



    Preferrably closer to one month.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I'm kind of in the same boat. Motherboard #5 on my iBook gave out a couple days back. I'd prefer to hold out for a while with updates on the horizon and Leopard coming in October. I'd rather not pay $130 in October after $1300 on the notebook itself. On the other hand, Apple can be rather erratic on its update schedule. The Core 2 Macbooks came in November and weren't exactly one of the first adopters of the new CPU, so I can't depend on seeing a santa rosa Macbook in the near future. On the same token, I don't have the most high notebook needs. I like to keep a desktop for the heavy lifting. All I need is something that can surf the web, use office, and play my iTunes library.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    feartecfeartec Posts: 119member
    With a PC, you can always upgrade, but Apple computers are quite different, I guess we never really feel that we have the latest and greatest, because we usually don't. When it comes down to it, however, we have a OS that I have had not turned off for 34.7 days. Go ahead and try that with Windows ANYTHING, it ain't gonna happen. Take that Windows! Oh yes your shares have been as stagnant as Zooba pants after the 80's.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post


    My advice would be to hold out, my friend. If I were in your shoes (and I wish I were!) I'd wait until the last POSSIBLE moment, up to and including the first week of classes. It wouldn't kill you to crank out a couple of papers in campus computer labs...



    agreed. but i definetly think there will be updates before august, there have to be. Apple relys pretty heavily on the edu sales of their notebooks.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    I am personally planning to buy a MacBook this summer, and I imagine that we will see a refresh during the May/June timeframe. Two things that I am hoping for:



    - 1GB RAM on all models

    - DVD burner standard on all models (CD burners really need to be retired)



    RAM prices have been dropping substantially over the past couple of months, so I think that 1GB of RAM is a real possibility. I have played around with the MacBooks a bit in stores, and I am quite happy with the overall design, have to admit that I hope the low end of the range will be nudged up slightly.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    kman79kman79 Posts: 12member
    I'm in the same boat as you are. My cousin picked up a MBP just a couple of days ago, and I'm sickly jealous of him, but I know/heard that new MBP will be coming and I would rather have the new hardware. I can wait up till classes start and I seriously hope that the new MBP will be out by then. I have moved 2500.00 to a seperate account just to make sure I have the cash when I need it. I'm hoping that is enough.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post


    agreed. but i definetly think there will be updates before august, there have to be. Apple relys pretty heavily on the edu sales of their notebooks.



    Agreed.
Sign In or Register to comment.