isight?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
what is up with isight?!

apple comes out with a great product only to see it vanish. no mention of them anywhere. seems pretty lame to me. at this point there should be some indication of whether they plan to update it or to just discontinue an external isight all together. i would much prefer to buy one from apple rather than just having a built in one in a display or to buying one from a third party vendor.

anyone else think apple should say something about this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ehmacehmac Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macfly View Post

what is up with isight?!

apple comes out with a great product only to see it vanish. no mention of them anywhere. seems pretty lame to me. at this point there should be some indication of whether they plan to update it or to just discontinue an external isight all together. i would much prefer to buy one from apple rather than just having a built in one in a display or to buying one from a third party vendor.

anyone else think apple should say something about this?

Apple has officially discountinued the iSight. I'm fairly certain they will not be selling an external one again. For $1099 Cdn... they will be happy to selling you one that comes with a free iMac.

With Mac OS 10.4.9, Apple added support for "USB Video Class" cameras. I've purchased a Logitech QuickCam Pro 5000 and tested. Out of the box, it works with iChat (Video and Audio), Skype and even PhotoBooth. It doesn't work with iMovie in case you want to do the motion capture thing. Sells for about $80 US.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    If you want one, I'll sell you mine.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Why? My parents need an video cam for an older iMac - I must not have been paying attention, I was surprised to see they discontinued. Makes no sense to me
  • Reply 4 of 4
    My new laptop has one built in, so if you want PM me and I will sell you mine.