Why does iTunes not sell new movie releases?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
why are only Disney owned studios offer new movie releases on iTunes?

All other studios only have old library titles available. I wonder why that is? is there any risk for them releasing new titles?

and why is mgm not releasing their entire backcatalogue, or at least a bit more than 3 new titles a week, this is pathetic. they have a library of over 4000 modern titles!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kubrick View Post

why are only Disney owned studios offer new movie releases on iTunes?

This is not true. Movies from Paramount and Orion Pictures are also available.

Quote:

All other studios only have old library titles available. I wonder why that is? is there any risk for them releasing new titles?

Except for direct-to-video, all new movies go first to the theaters.

Quote:

and why is mgm not releasing their entire backcatalogue, or at least a bit more than 3 new titles a week, this is pathetic. they have a library of over 4000 modern titles!!

Now you are contradicting yourself. Now you acknowledging that the iTMS is not Disney-exclusive. The studios have many reasons for releasing or not releasing films to video. There are many films which have yet to be released to DVD. Perhaps the studio feels that the film has revenue potential that can't be realized through home video. Perhaps there are licensing issues. Perhaps, the producers or someone feels that home video is inadequate a medium for a particular film. Every film has a history. You can't generalize about the choices that the studios and producers make about how a particular film is displayed.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kubrickkubrick Posts: 13member
    I'm talking about NEW releases. movies that are available on dvd but not on iTunes. so far only Disney OWNED studions do new (dvd) releases: touchstone, miramax and pixar are all disney owned, only these studios offer new titles (with new I mean already released on dvd)...

deja-vu, the queen, pirates of the caribbean, cars etc: all disney.

why is it that the other studios don't do that??
  • Reply 3 of 4
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

I'm talking about NEW releases. movies that are available on dvd but not on iTunes. so far only Disney OWNED studions do new (dvd) releases: touchstone, miramax and pixar are all disney owned, only these studios offer new titles (with new I mean already released on dvd)...

deja-vu, the queen, pirates of the caribbean, cars etc: all disney.

why is it that the other studios don't do that??

Ask the other studio executives, they could probably do it if they wanted to. My guess is right now they are taking advantage of iTMS in a small way as they test the waters and research other options that are probably in the works. If they can do with without Apple and be successful then they probably will try.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

I'm talking about NEW releases. ...

I thought that I had given you enough information to infer that the decision to release any particular movie title to the iTunes Music Store or any other outlet was a business decision based on any number of factors. I guess I was wrong.