RAM question...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
upon deciding to get a mac book instead of a vista laptop, i went on over to apple.com. i wanted black, and was a little disappointed when you could only get the more expensive one in black. but, i was willing to take it. it was a nice incentive to get a GOOD laptop in contrast to the peice of crap(as in slow) PC i have.

i was looking, and i COULD get by on the basics, and i actually only want the basics, except in RAM. i know what it does, i just need to know:

is it worth the extra $175 for 2GB of ram, when all i will be using it for is internet(not games, just going on websites) and itunes(likely both at the same time.)

any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imsobored View Post

is it worth the extra $175 for 2GB of ram, when all i will be using it for is internet(not games, just going on websites) and itunes(likely both at the same time.)

If you are so sure about the use, then there is no need to invest more in RAM. But if you want to be future-usage-proof because you cannot tell right now if something is going to change after, say, one year, then go for more RAM. It is up to you to weight and judge on that basis.

Personally I tend to maximize the RAM because I run simultaneously many applications that eat up memory pretty quickly. And how not to use many applications at the same time when there are so many and fine ones available. Then, there are the other accounts for the family members, which too need memory.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    You don't have to buy RAM right now, either. You can put another 1GB stick in later if you think you need it, and it will be less than $175.

It's also worth noting that the Black MB is $150 more than the White MB configured the same. You're paying $150 for the color.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    feartecfeartec Posts: 119member
    RAM just upgraded I did, and a difference it made. -Yoda speak
  • Reply 4 of 7
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    The RAM is important. It took me a while to figure it out. I was used to opening an app using it and then closing it. That's not the way to do it on a Mac. Eventually you'll have multiple apps open and move between them effortlessly. Then you'll appreciate the RAM.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by f0nd004u View Post

You don't have to buy RAM right now, either. You can put another 1GB stick in later if you think you need it, and it will be less than $175.

It's also worth noting that the Black MB is $150 more than the White MB configured the same. You're paying $150 for the color.

I believe your incorrect on the above pricing. The 2ghz white Macbook is $1299 and the Black version is $1499. This is NOT simply a cosmetic differece. The Hard Drive in the White model is only a 80gb standard at that price, where the black is 120gb. If they are "configured the same" the white model goes up $150 to simply boost the Hard Drive to match the black model. This means the color is only $50 more.

As far as the RAM goes, just wait and see how you like it. I bought my Macbook this past weekend w/o upgrading the RAM because Crucial.com 's price is only $119.00 and I can eBay the RAM that's in there now, or better yet probably upgrade my Mini's RAM with some of it. Either way, it's cheaper to wait, then decide what you want.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by f0nd004u View Post

If you plan it this way, keep in mind that there are only two RAM slots and the base 1MB it comes with is two 512K pieces of ram. In order to upgrade to two MB, you would have to throw out your two 512K and buy two 1MB chips.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    f0nd004uf0nd004u Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

If you plan it this way, keep in mind that there are only two RAM slots and the base 1MB it comes with is two 512K pieces of ram. In order to upgrade to two MB, you would have to throw out your two 512K and buy two 1MB chips.

that would be MB -> GB.

and i just went and checked the Apple store again... it's not a $150 difference anymore, but still $50 more for the black MB in the same configuration. Not so bad i guess.