Fink

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hope someone can help with this,

Got fink installed and can run console apps fine, like mc, pine etc. But when i try to run startx i get this message...

This is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any

way. Bugs may be reported to [email protected] and patches submitted

to [email protected]. Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions,

please check the latest version in the XFree86 CVS repository

(http://www.XFree86.Org/cvs)

XFree86 Version 4.2.1.1 / X Window System

(protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600)

Release Date: 18 October 2002

If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your hardware is

newer than the above date, look for a newer version before

reporting problems. (See <a href="http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)" target="_blank">http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)</a>

Operating System: Darwin

Using keymapping provided in /System/Library/Keyboards/USA.keymapping.

_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root

Display mode: IOKit

Failed to connect to the HID System as the window server!

Fatal server error:

Quit the Mac OS X window server or use the -quartz option.

OsVendorFatalError

AbortDDX

Quitting XDarwin...

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

looked it up on fink site but cant make head nor tail of it,

it says something about $PATH?

simplified help would be a plus here lol

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    try to do

[code] startx - -quartz </pre><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 2 of 14
    nope still got the same message!
  • Reply 3 of 14
    while im on the subject of fink, is here a way of creating a symlink of an x app to the desktop? i could do this in linux but have no idea in darwin, i want to create a link to bitchx so that it opens straight away in console.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    2xpost

[ 12-29-2002: Message edited by: thuh Freak ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by cybermonkey:

<strong>while im on the subject of fink, is here a way of creating a symlink of an x app to the desktop? i could do this in linux but have no idea in darwin, i want to create a link to bitchx so that it opens straight away in console.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i think if you made a symlink, but named the link file with the extension ".command" then it'd do what you want. ex:

[code]ln -s /path/to/executable ~/Desktop/mylink.command</pre><hr></blockquote>

if that doesn't work, you could make a little sh script with the .command extension, and in it open up bitchx. the *.command file has to be executable though. ex sh-script:

[code]#!/bin/sh

eval /path/to/executable;

</pre><hr></blockquote>

to run it, 2x click the file from the finder. or, within a term do:

[code]open /path/to/commandfile.command</pre><hr></blockquote>

--

back to the original problem: xfree86. i dont think fink supports it directly. i think you gotta go to the xfree86 website. i suggest you find and download "XDarwin" (i think you can get it from the xfree86 site, or maybe somethign like xdarwin.org or .net, or similar). once i got that my xfree86 worked, where it hadn't previously.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    cheers for the info.

Ill see if i can find x and install manually.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    ok almost there.

just browsed the fink user info page and to startx i type

startx -- -quartz

this works but then when i choose rootless or full screen it pops this up and terminates

2002-12-29 18:53:12.150 XDarwin[1194]

XDarwin 1.1.1.1

Running in parallel with Mac OS X Quartz window server.

This is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any

way. Bugs may be reported to [email protected] and patches submitted

to [email protected]. Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions,

please check the latest version in the XFree86 CVS repository

(http://www.XFree86.Org/cvs)

XFree86 Version 4.2.1.1 / X Window System

(protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600)

Release Date: 18 October 2002

If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your hardware is

newer than the above date, look for a newer version before

reporting problems. (See <a href="http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)" target="_blank">http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)</a>

Operating System: Darwin

Using keymapping provided in /System/Library/Keyboards/USA.keymapping.

_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root

Display mode: Rootless Quartz

Screen 0 added: 1280x1003 @ (0,21)

Screen 0 placed at X11 coordinate (0,0).

waiting for X server to shut down Quitting XDarwin...

how do i set /tmp/.X11-unix to root permissions?

i take it this is the problem x wont stay up.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    well, i doubt this'll fix it, but to make .X11-unix to root (ownership), you do the following:

[code]sudo chown root /tmp/.X11-unix</pre><hr></blockquote>

or, to also make the group section 'root', do:

[code]sudo chwon root:root /tmp/.X11-unix</pre><hr></blockquote>

when you say that you chose rootless or full screen, do you mean that a window popped open and asked you? or were you trying the command-line option[s]?

the preffered method of running XDarwin [hoping that you've downloaded that] is to 2x click it. just like any old osx program. you can save [in its prefs] whether to start full screen or rootless; or you can select from the options every time it starts.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    i am running it from terminal where the window pops up and i select either rootless or fullscreen then my screen flashes and dies.

When i double click the XDarwin icon it comes up in the finder bar with the xserver cursor and clock and then dies.

havent downloaded xfree seperate yet i will try that now and let you know what happens
  • Reply 10 of 14
    when you say that it gives you the cursor, the clock and dies, was that with rootless or fullscreen mode [both?]? and by dies, do you mean it leaves the dock [quits] or doesn't resemble xfree86 anymore?

with fullscreen mode, the xfree86 screen is actually hidden [kind of like being behind the quartz screen]. you get to it by clicking on the xdarwin icon in the dock. and you leave it by hitting a certain key-combo [which you have to select in the xdarwin prefs. i think its "command+option+a"; but that might just be what i've set it to]. you can get to xdarwin without inciting the switch to xfree86 mode, by command-tab'ing over through your active applicatoins to it.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    ok just downloaded the manual install from XonX.

the exact same thing is happening.

when in full screen mode i accept show X from the option and i get the Xscreen with cursor and clock then after about 20 secs it dies, nothing in the dock.

when i run it in rootless mode i get XDarwin in the finder bar and the X icon in the dock with the arrow under it, then after 20 secs it again dies and theirs no X in the dock.

when run from terminal same thing with the same output as above.

I'm running jaguar if thats any use,
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Ok if anyone is still watching this i got it sorted.

Just did a re-install of osx and installed xfree through fink and it works a treat.

unix always bites yer somewhere lol
  • Reply 13 of 14
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Um, btw, how do I change the keyboard mapping in X11?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    the easiest way is to run x in rootless and click xdarwin in the finder bar, under prefs then under settings.

you can do it in the console by typing something like SETENV LANG, you'll have to look it up though on finks site <a href="http://fink.sourceforge.net."; target="_blank">http://fink.sourceforge.net.</a>;

Wjhat i want to know is how do you get apple to replace your USA layout keyboardfor a british one