New second drive in Mac Pro--need recommendations, suggestions

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am interested in putting a second drive in my Mac Pro. I would like it to hold about 250-300 GB of data. I found the specs on Apple's website for installing a second drive, but I can't seem to find one online (other than the expensive ones on Apple's website). Can someone recommend a drive about that size. I know it has to have a speed of about 300 Gbps. I'd like one with a cache of about 16 MB. If possible, can you include a link to the page the drive is on, or at least tell the website. Thanks so much.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    cyloncylon Posts: 126member
    I ended up putting a 400gb Maxtor drive that I got from Frye's for about $110. I partitioned with Bootcamp for 150gb and then will use the other partition as a backup for my main drive.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    oldcodger73oldcodger73 Posts: 707member
    Seagate seems to get consistent good recommendations. Other that are also worth considering are Western Digital and Hitachi. There's been mixed reports about Maxtor. If you have a Frye's or Best Buy in your area watch their sale circulars as they often have HDs at good prices. Places to consider online are NewEgg and ZipZoomFly. Be sure and get a SATA 3.0 drive. There are good installation directions, with illustrations, in the MacPro manual.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nyc2phx View Post

I am interested in putting a second drive in my Mac Pro. I would like it to hold about 250-300 GB of data. I found the specs on Apple's website for installing a second drive, but I can't seem to find one online (other than the expensive ones on Apple's website). Can someone recommend a drive about that size. I know it has to have a speed of about 300 Gbps. I'd like one with a cache of about 16 MB. If possible, can you include a link to the page the drive is on, or at least tell the website. Thanks so much.

I would suggest revising your size estimate a notch just for breathing room. More storage in the same drive doesn't cost that much more, a 400 to 500GB internal drive is not terribly expensive, and they are generally faster too. If you want a quiet drive, then I'd suggest a Seagate, though I see claims that Samsung is both quieter and faster. My WD's are louder, I ended up moving my WDs to the middle two slots so they aren't so noticeable.