VMWare Beta vs. Parallels

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So far, the free VMWare Beta 3 is running circles around the "final" version of Parallels that I was stupid enough to pay for.



With the "beta" VM, I've been able to:



1) Successfully install and run Ubuntu 7.0.4 without the nasty "install as Solaris, run a Linux" hack.

2) Install the very first final build of Windows XP successfully and without problems.

3) Run my old Windows games under an "experimental" 3D accelerated graphics feature.

4) Resize my screen resolution dynamically by dragging the bottom right-hand corner of my VMWare window.



Parallels is looking worse and worse in my book, as the first Windows installation I did under the Parallels beta deteriorated to the point where I was getting BSODs constantly. Reinstalling it required several reboots after which Parallels could no longer read my XP CD.



I couldn't install Ubuntu 7.0.4 on Parallels. Hell, I couldn't even get to the BOOTABLE CD without running it under a Solaris VM. Once Ubuntu was installed, I had to switch the VM back to Linux.



Why did I pay for that crap?!? VMWare is the shiznit!

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 12
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Hmm. I haven't faced any of the problems you mentioned. I installed XP and Ubuntu (and other linux flavors) easily, even back when Parallels was in beta, and I have no problem dragging to resize the window. Only bump I faced was with setting resolutions in a couple linux distros. PEBKAC?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    per$onper$on Posts: 10member
    I couldn't install the most recent Ubuntu under Parallels either, but it went fine with VMware.



    I think this has been acknowledged on the Ubuntu site.



    Given the competition, I'm sure that Parallels will sort it out.



    But isn't it great that the competition exists!?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,256member
    VMware is the best and brightest of virtualization engineering talent. I expect that VMware's solution will be more expensive than Parallels but will offer many more features. So for basic needs people will buy Parallels and for more "heavy lifting" VMware will be the choice. That's my hunch.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    per$onper$on Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    VMware is the best and brightest of virtualization engineering talent. I expect that VMware's solution will be more expensive than Parallels but will offer many more features. So for basic needs people will buy Parallels and for more "heavy lifting" VMware will be the choice. That's my hunch.



    Why is that? What's the difference between the two operations?



    And if you're right, why is Parallels paid and VMware free (for now)?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PER$ON View Post


    Why is that? What's the difference between the two operations?



    VMware invented x86 virtualization, then Connectix and Parallels came around a few years later and decided to clone VMware's technology. Not to start a political discussion, but VMware is in Silicon Valley and was started by a group of Stanford PhDs. Parallels appears to be from Moscow.



    Quote:

    And if you're right, why is Parallels paid and VMware free (for now)?



    Because betas are free and final products cost money. Higher-quality final products cost more money.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    per$onper$on Posts: 10member
    Thanks for your information. I wasn't aware of the origin of these products.



    Nevertheless, it is curious that you say Parallels originated in Moscow, seeing as it is a Windows city.



    If you could shed some light on the subject, I'm sure it would be a great story.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PER$ON View Post


    Thanks for your information. I wasn't aware of the origin of these products.



    Nevertheless, it is curious that you say Parallels originated in Moscow, seeing as it is a Windows city.



    If you could shed some light on the subject, I'm sure it would be a great story.



    The guy that owns Parallels has his programming team in Moscow. Not much story there.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    per$onper$on Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post


    The guy that owns Parallels has his programming team in Moscow. Not much story there.



    Well, actually, that is a very interesting story! And thanks for that.



    The only thing left is to find the truth in the matter.



    Any suggestions?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PER$ON View Post


    Nevertheless, it is curious that you say Parallels originated in Moscow, seeing as it is a Windows city.



    I think Parallels was developed for Windows then they ported it to OS X after the Intel switch.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,256member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PER$ON View Post


    Why is that? What's the difference between the two operations?



    And if you're right, why is Parallels paid and VMware free (for now)?





    VMware is the "Gold Standard" in virtualization. I'm glad to have both options.



    http://www.vmware.com/products/product_index.html



    They have a phenomenal breadth of Virtualization products.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PER$ON View Post


    Well, actually, that is a very interesting story! And thanks for that.



    The only thing left is to find the truth in the matter.



    Any suggestions?



    Nobody's hiding anything. Just google something like "Parallels Moscow" and you too can be the owner of a link like this: http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb092005-story02.html
  • Reply 12 of 12
    per$onper$on Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post


    Nobody's hiding anything. Just google something like "Parallels Moscow" and you too can be the owner of a link like this: http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb092005-story02.html



    Very interesting read. Thanks.
Sign In or Register to comment.