Sun to offer Open Office for Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Sun Microsystems joins porting effort for OpenOffice.org for Mac

LINK

Nothing more left to be said, I guess. I'm thrilled that Sun is taking the Mac market seriously. Hopefully a full fledged version of Star Office (with support) will also be developed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kukito View Post

Sun Microsystems joins porting effort for OpenOffice.org for Mac

LINK

Nothing more left to be said, I guess. I'm thrilled that Sun is taking the Mac market seriously. Hopefully a full fledged version of Star Office (with support) will also be developed.

Why not use Neo Office?

Works Great for me.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    At the risk of repeating myself, take a look at this post for my take on Sun's efforts to port OpenOffice to Mac:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...92&postcount=8
  • Reply 3 of 4
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I admire the NeoOffice guys for their persistence, but NeoOffice is way too slow on anything but the latest machines to be considered as an Office alternative.

Whether the fault lies in the Java implementation, Apple's ATSUI component or little green goblins that have latched on to the source code, the result is the same.

Something has to be fixed.

If Sun can make this problem go away, good for them. However the fact that a new 2007 app is being coded in Carbon by people who are "quite new to Mac OS X and Aqua" doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Actually OpenOffice is much slower than NeoOffice because it uses X11. I have both in my Applications folder. I have never noticed any speed problems with NeoOffice. OpenOffice.org (OOo) however has font issues, file navigation problems and printing problems.