A new PC that should have been a Mac!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For the first time I am attracted by the design of a PC!

I still prefer Leopard as an OS but this ACER should have been a Mac. I will have buy an iBook like this that looks like my old iBook G3 Graphite SE. Clamshell love!

Should Apple start to worry about new PC designs like this one? What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    It looks like a PowerBook G3 wannabe.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bizmac View Post

I still prefer Leopard as an OS

Are you a developer with beta version of Leopard?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bizmac View Post

For the first time I am attracted by the design of a PC!

I still prefer Leopard as an OS but this ACER should have been a Mac. I will have buy an iBook like this that looks like my old iBook G3 Graphite SE. Clamshell love!

Should Apple start to worry about new PC designs like this one? What do you think?

The iBook comment is fair, since it is a rehash of design fads from 1999, with a black cover.

It's not really that well-designed; it's just really frikkin' shiny. It might even be a rendering!

It doesn't seem to have any coherence as an object, with lines going everywhere, and then other pieces stuck into the design, with poor attempts at integration. Why are there little blue things with little or no purpose? Why is the trackpad off-center? What is with the ridiculous blue light on the keyboard? Why do materials shift sides too look cool, without any reason?

Read their pamphlet:

http://global.acer.com/products/note...20brochure.pdf

Design isn't all about prettiness. It's about getting function to look pretty. There are plenty of companies that have done this over the years, and prettiness depends on different tastes.

Ives has created a specific, total look for all of the product lines, one of rounded platonic minimalism, using white and other natural colors. Each time, he has defied the standard practices and moved into new areas. I predict that at WWDC 2007, they'll reveal a new product or two that will look a lot like the iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Pretty sure this is a rendering. Look at the lower right corner and how light plays there.

The lines are not very different from the Acers I have seen. And every one, once you look at it "in the wild", has looked like a collection of parts bolted together, not to mention what the materials and paints used look after like a little wear and flaking. (Not pretty.)

Notice PS/2 connector on the side. It just screams "feature checklist before usability" as well as cheap and outdated. Leads me to expect VGA output and no DVI on the back. (Didn't look at pamphlet or other info.)

They have borrowed the keyboard color from Apple, whoopty-doo. With Acer materials the palmrest's going to go black faster than the iBook/Macbook's.

I'd bet the trackpad is centered to the home row position, as it should. The flaw is that the keyboard isn't centered to the screen, guess it's more important to stuff the thing with media controls. I expect to see more of them above function keys.

This is the very best of non-Apple laptop design as far as I'm concerned. Clean, no-nonsense looks after you strip off the stickers that every PC laptop seems to come with. And the quality to go with the looks.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    There are plenty of PC companies with decent design. Apple certainly has no monopoly here.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    bizmacbizmac Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

This is the very best of non-Apple laptop design as far as I'm concerned. Clean, no-nonsense looks after you strip off the stickers that every PC laptop seems to come with. And the quality to go with the looks.

No way! This is a PC for sure not a Mac.

The ACER above, looks like a powerbook G3 as Chucker said.

Apple has quite a monopoly in design if you look at the different rewards they have each year on their line of computers. Personally I am looking for functionality but even more for design. I like looking at my computer and think of it as a piece of art. Maybe it is personnal but I really like the curves of a clamshell notebook. My G3 clamshell was a piece of art, the Cube also, the G4 iMac, airport station, OSX...(and this is what I like about Apple design matters)

Hope Apple will bring his new design for a MacBook Pro soon (May). I really would like to know how they are going to improve it.

Quote:

Are you a developer with beta version of Leopard?

Even better I am Steve himself!