InDesign reading PageMaker files

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
According to its help menu, InDesign CS 3.0 can read/open PageMaker documents, but when I try to open my PageMaker files (v. 5.0 or 6.0), I get this error message:



Cannot open the file "xxx". InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application.



What gives? What plug-in do I need? Isn't ID the successor to PageMaker? Why do I need a plug in to read my PM files and where do get it? Or does ID only open PageMaker 7.0 files?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 9
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by baygbm View Post


    According to its help menu, InDesign CS 3.0 can read/open PageMaker documents, but when I try to open my PageMaker files (v. 5.0 or 6.0), I get this error message:



    Cannot open the file "xxx". InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application.



    What gives? What plug-in do I need? Isn't ID the successor to PageMaker? Why do I need a plug in to read my PM files and where do get it? Or does ID only open PageMaker 7.0 files?



    Indesign only opens SOME versions of Pagemaker ( and Quark! ). Check your documentation.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post


    Indesign only opens SOME versions of Pagemaker ( and Quark! ). Check your documentation.



    "SOME" meaning version 7, right?



    That's pretty crappy!



    So, my choice is to recreate all my PageMaker v.4, v.5, and v.6 files from scratch in InDesign (not an attractive option) or buy version 7 of PageMaker for the sole purpose of saving my older documents in the version 7.0 format so I will be able to open them in InDesign?



  • Reply 3 of 9
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 525member
    InDesign 3 Pagemaker Edition and newer can open PageMaker 6-7 files.



    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled....cfm?id=324329
  • Reply 4 of 9
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post


    InDesign 3 Pagemaker Edition and newer can open PageMaker 6-7 files.



    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled....cfm?id=324329



    According to that Adobe link, "Adobe InDesign CS2 and Adobe InDesign CS PageMaker Edition can open Adobe PageMaker 6.0-7.x publications and templates. InDesign CS can open PageMaker 6.5x-7.x publications and templates"



    I guess I'm screwed . . . because I have InDesign CS 3.0 and my PageMaker files are 5.0 and 6.0.--not 6.5 or 7.0. CS 3.0 cannot open them.



  • Reply 5 of 9
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 525member
    whoops, double post
  • Reply 6 of 9
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by baygbm View Post


    I guess I'm screwed . . . because I have InDesign CS 3.0 and my PakeMaker files are 5.0 and 6.0.--not 6.5 or 7.0. CS 3.0 cannot open them.







    I wonder if there's a way for you to upgrade to the Pagemaker Edition of InDesign CS? Either that or upgrade to InDesign CS2 or 3.



    OR... do you know of anyone who has a later version of InDesign so you can open your PageMaker 6 files and then export them to InDesign Interchange format which ID3 can open...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,015member
    I'm just talking out of left field, but couldn't you save as a PDF document then import to InDesign?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by baygbm View Post


    ...



    I guess I'm screwed . . . because I have InDesign CS 3.0 and my PageMaker files are 5.0 and 6.0.--not 6.5 or 7.0. CS 3.0 cannot open them.







    Either your files are very old or you were using them on a very old computer. PageMaker 5.0 was released in 1993; PageMaker 6.0, in 1996; and PageMaker 6.5, in 1998. If you have kept your installations of PageMaker around for more than a decade, then you should locate a copy of PageMaker 7.0, install it on one of your old machines, open your files in PM 7.0, save them in the newer format. Then, you can move the converted files to InDesign.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post


    Either your files are very old or you were using them on a very old computer. PageMaker 5.0 was released in 1993; PageMaker 6.0, in 1996; and PageMaker 6.5, in 1998. If you have kept your installations of PageMaker around for more than a decade, then you should locate a copy of PageMaker 7.0, install it on one of your old machines, open your files in PM 7.0, save them in the newer format. Then, you can move the converted files to InDesign.



    I own PageMaker 5.0 and 6.0. I don't own 6.5 or 7. Unlike some users, I don't always have a need to upgrade to the very latest every 6 or 12 months; sometimes, I go from version 2.0 to version 5.0. In this case, I'm going from PageMaker 6.0 to what is, in effect version 8 in the form of InDesign 3.0. Alas, ID 3.0 cannot read versions 5 or 6 of PageMaker files.



    My solution, it seems, is to raid the software shelf of my graphic designer friends to obtain a copy of 6.5 or 7.0 of PageMaker so I can convert my files to formats that InDesign can open.
Sign In or Register to comment.