Does apple make a different media player?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi, new here.. please go easy on me,,

Does Apple make a media player which is not iTunes? - iTunes is quite frankly a basic list and does note allow to you view your collection in the best possible way.. I've tried alternatives (currently use mediamonkey to manage my mp3 collection).

Do you know if Apple provide a different media player?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    rich-mysterrich-myster Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amqc View Post

Hi, new here.. please go easy on me,,

Does Apple make a media player which is not iTunes? - iTunes is quite frankly a basic list and does note allow to you view your collection in the best possible way.. I've tried alternatives (currently use mediamonkey to manage my mp3 collection).

Do you know if Apple provide a different media player?

why would they make another media player that would lessen the traffic in iTunes.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    how are you looking to view your collection?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    rich-mysterrich-myster Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

As is usually the case with Windows paradigm holdouts, I'm sure he wants to view his huge downloaded untagged MP3 collection by individual file names and custom folder structure, ignoring ID3 tags.

Id3 tags are the only way to go.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

As is usually the case with Windows paradigm holdouts, I'm sure he wants to view his huge downloaded untagged MP3 collection by individual file names and custom folder structure, ignoring ID3 tags.

So basically a Mac version of Winamp?

Audion is probably the closest to that apart from the old OS9 port of Winamp.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    amqcamqc Posts: 3member
    Hi, thanks for the responses..

Please don't jump the gun and assume,

"As is usually the case with Windows paradigm holdouts, I'm sure he wants to view his huge downloaded untagged MP3 collection by individual file names and custom folder structure, ignoring ID3 tags." - I find that quite insulting actually..

If I wanted to do as such, I'd rename my files accordingly and simply use my file system..

I'm hot on tags, a good 90% of my collection is tagged as follows..
    • Name

• #

• Album

• Artist

• Year

• Part of compilation

• Genre

• Rating

• Lyricist

• Tempo

• Mood

• Occasion

• Quality

• Lyrics (only about 20% though)

• and of course, album art

Now, say I want to get a list of all my tracks recorded since 2003 which are also rated 3 stars or higher and in the chill out genre with a tempo below 100bpm..

I don't think iTunes is capable of showing me information like this without first creating a smart play list, as I said before, iTunes displays music like a list (just like windows)! Unless there's a setting or display mode I've missed, if so please direct me to the right button

Can iTunes give me such a list without first having to make a smartplaylist?

I find it difficult to accept that Apple create the best hardware in terms of media (I use iPod, iMac & PC) but then provide iTunes... I can't be the only one who dislikes it?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amqc View Post

Now, say I want to get a list of all my tracks recorded since 2003 which are also rated 3 stars or higher and in the chill out genre with a tempo below 100bpm..

I don't think iTunes is capable of showing me information like this without first creating a smart play list, as I said before, iTunes displays music like a list (just like windows)! Unless there's a setting or display mode I've missed, if so please direct me to the right button

Can iTunes give me such a list without first having to make a smartplaylist?

Okay, I downloaded MediaMonkey and I don't see any way of doing what you are asking for without creating a custom play list (like iTunes). What I see are a bunch of pre-defined smart playlists that you can drill into, which sometimes also lets you choose an artist as a sub-crtiteria.

I can't think of any media player which will show you such a specific list of criteria without creating your own playlist, dynamic or otherwise. Sorry.

Could you perhaps elaborate on what you are looking for? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what exactly what your needs are. What exactly is wrong with creating smart playlists? You know you can create nested folders of playlists within iTunes right?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    prismprism Posts: 75member
    I got the same thing in a way.

Looking for another player besides iTunes. Audion maybe nice, but need to try it out first.

The reason I don't like iTunes is because of practically all it uses/does.

I don't want a library nor a rating (because all my music I like, and I don't care what other people feel about it, so why rate it??) nor album covers or lyrics.

All I want, and do now in Windows with WinAMP, is open a playlist and drag some MP3's in, or a full album, and play them. Nothing more at all.

But in iTunes (for as far as I have figured out) you need to select the directoy (but first make sure not to copy them into it's own screwed up database like crap) and then make playlists for every single album.

*sigh* why????

And yes, I do use ID3 tags and all, but I just want to play my music. That's it.

I searched for a "normal" MP3 player with google, but mostly it's just iTunes or Audion (which isn't developed anymore).

Now, maybe I missed out on some things, so if people could direct me, I am open for it.

Just don't make me use a library.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    You might want to have a look at Cog which is a nice lightweight audio player. You drop some files onto it and it creates a temporary playlist like Winamp without ratings, album art, etc.

It also plays a bunch of extra audio formats iTunes doesn't support (unless you install plug-ins).
  • Reply 9 of 16
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prism View Post

I got the same thing in a way.

Looking for another player besides iTunes. Audion maybe nice, but need to try it out first.

The reason I don't like iTunes is because of practically all it uses/does.

I don't want a library nor a rating (because all my music I like, and I don't care what other people feel about it, so why rate it??) nor album covers or lyrics.

All I want, and do now in Windows with WinAMP, is open a playlist and drag some MP3's in, or a full album, and play them. Nothing more at all.

But in iTunes (for as far as I have figured out) you need to select the directoy (but first make sure not to copy them into it's own screwed up database like crap) and then make playlists for every single album.

*sigh* why????

And yes, I do use ID3 tags and all, but I just want to play my music. That's it.

I searched for a "normal" MP3 player with google, but mostly it's just iTunes or Audion (which isn't developed anymore).

Now, maybe I missed out on some things, so if people could direct me, I am open for it.

Just don't make me use a library.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want a library. If you tell iTunes that you want to manage your library manually, it's very flexible. You can store media where ever you like, in multiple locations and even over a network.

If you are having to navigate a file structure to select the files you want to play, then why not just use your library to navigate them? It's much easier, that's why it was developed that way! The only reason why you wouldn't want to do so is if your files aren't tagged properly. If this is the case, then I would invest some time in doing so.

The iTunes search feature works very will when your files are tagged appropriately and there are a number of ways you can customise your viewing experience... your traditional List View, Album View and Cover Flow. Also don't forget that you can add view options such as Year, BPM, Bit Rate, Date Added and Sample Rate etc etc.

If you select the 'eye' button at the bottom right of iTunes, you even get a Finder-like way of navigating your files based on different criteria.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

You might want to have a look at Cog which is a nice lightweight audio player. You drop some files onto it and it creates a temporary playlist like Winamp without ratings, album art, etc.

It also plays a bunch of extra audio formats iTunes doesn't support (unless you install plug-ins).

I will check it out.

Hadn't seen this one during my searches.

[edit]Looks OK. Will try it out when I get home. Thanks for the link![/edit]
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

I don't understand why you wouldn't want a library. If you tell iTunes that you want to manage your library manually, it's very flexible. You can store media where ever you like, in multiple locations and even over a network.

If you are having to navigate a file structure to select the files you want to play, then why not just use your library to navigate them? It's much easier, that's why it was developed that way! The only reason why you wouldn't want to do so is if your files aren't tagged properly. If this is the case, then I would invest some time in doing so.

The iTunes search feature works very will when your files are tagged appropriately and there are a number of ways you can customise your viewing experience... your traditional List View, Album View and Cover Flow. Also don't forget that you can add view options such as Year, BPM, Bit Rate, Date Added and Sample Rate etc etc.

If you select the 'eye' button at the bottom right of iTunes, you even get a Finder-like way of navigating your files based on different criteria.

Why would I want a library when I got all my albums and catagories already layed out in directory's?

In iTunes when I select which directory to search for my MP3's it just list all of them in one single big list which is then a complete mess, so I have to create playlists and sort them out again.

It just doubles the work.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    crispycrispy Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Why would I want a library when I got all my albums and catagories already layed out in directory's?

In iTunes when I select which directory to search for my MP3's it just list all of them in one single big list which is then a complete mess, so I have to create playlists and sort them out again.

It just doubles the work.

You have clicked the little eye icon, which lets you browse by genre, artist and album, haven't you?

No need to create playlists at all for that sort of thing.

Bottom right in the window.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crispy View Post

You have clicked the little eye icon, which lets you browse by genre, artist and album, haven't you?

I honestly don't remember anymore. It's been about a month ago since I tried iTunes.

All I know is that when I directed iTunes where to find my MP3's I dumped them in one big list. One of the top links on the left pane.

If iTunes would/could be setup as a normal browser inside a media player, it would be fine for me, and I'd use it.

edit: didn't see the screenshot till now. I think I clicked just about everything I could find to get what I want. The My Music is hte one I ment where everything is dumped into.

I will get into it again.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    crispycrispy Posts: 2member
    Quote:

I honestly don't remember anymore. It's been about a month ago since I tried iTunes.

All I know is that when I directed iTunes where to find my MP3's I dumped them in one big list. One of the top links on the left pane.

If iTunes would/could be setup as a normal browser inside a media player, it would be fine for me, and I'd use it.

edit: didn't see the screenshot till now. I think I clicked just about everything I could find to get what I want. The My Music is hte one I ment where everything is dumped into.

I will get into it again.

EDIT: Think of the default 'My Music' view as a windows search for *.mp3 in your root MP3 folder. It's an indiscriminate list of all your music. By using the eyeball, you can filter the list by genre artist and album.

Well, that's what you get when you use the Browse button (the eyeball) - If you have your music sorted in Artist/Album (I'm guessing - this is how I used to do it), then you have identical functionality in the middle and right panes at the top. This works by ID3 tag, by the way, but you did say that your music was well tagged.

I used to have my music organised in folders just like you - and when I tried iTunes the first time, it annoyed me that it hid the file structure from me. But then I realised that th file structure is not what I wanted to see - I wanted to be able to find my music quickly. And it turned out that itunes was much quicker and simpler than burrowing through folders.

Oh, and PS: make sure 'manage my itunes music folder' is turned OFF if you want to preserve your current folder structure.

When this option is turned off, make sure any new music is in the place you want to keep it, then dragndrop it on to the itunes window to add to the library.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crispy View Post

EDIT: Think of the default 'My Music' view as a windows search for *.mp3 in your root MP3 folder. It's an indiscriminate list of all your music. By using the eyeball, you can filter the list by genre artist and album.

Well, that's what you get when you use the Browse button (the eyeball) - If you have your music sorted in Artist/Album (I'm guessing - this is how I used to do it), then you have identical functionality in the middle and right panes at the top. This works by ID3 tag, by the way, but you did say that your music was well tagged.

I used to have my music organised in folders just like you - and when I tried iTunes the first time, it annoyed me that it hid the file structure from me. But then I realised that th file structure is not what I wanted to see - I wanted to be able to find my music quickly. And it turned out that itunes was much quicker and simpler than burrowing through folders.

Oh, and PS: make sure 'manage my itunes music folder' is turned OFF if you want to preserve your current folder structure.

When this option is turned off, make sure any new music is in the place you want to keep it, then dragndrop it on to the itunes window to add to the library.

The 'manage my itunes music folder' is the first thing I looked for, and turned off.

I can see that iTunes will be quicker with browsing and stuff, but setting it up isn't.

For as far as I have seen then.

But, since my collection is setup up the "artist - album" way (directory wise that is, actual filename for a album is more like "artist # track" way) I think I should be able to set it up the way you describe it.

So, when I don't click "the eye" button it should give me a proper listing of stuff?

I just hope I can disable it to list based on genre or whatever, since I don't care about that either :-)

I just want my list of albums, seperate song, and select from there.