Where are the Quicktime movies stored?

om2om2
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I want to get the downloaded files for Quicktime movies, like for example trailers, from the Apple website.

I can't find where the files are stored?

I've got both a PC and a Mac.

I'm using the PC for the moment.

I can't find anything in:

c\Documents and Settings\\myUserName\\Local Settings\\Temporary Internet Files

I've found another directory:

C\Documents and Settings\\myUserName\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\Apple Computer\\QuickTime\\downloads

Now there are several files there.

I've found a file that must be th eone I'm after: it's of the right size and has a date and time stamp of when I viewed a trailer from the Apple website.

BUT: the file doesn't play in Quicktime.

I assume Apple have some kind of encryption?

Any help on how to get the files would be really appreciated.

Ideally: I'd like to know how to get to the files on a PC.

But... if not... I can use my Macbook.

Thanks.

OM

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    gwoodpeckergwoodpecker Posts: 367member
    Do you have QuickTime Pro? If not, you can't save the movies.

If you have QTPro, there is a little triangle bottom right that lets you save the movies wherever you want. Both on OS X and Windows.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    om2om2 Posts: 67member
    and there's absolutely *no way* of just going through the temp files?

how do they do it?

do they encrypt or something?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    nevenmrgannevenmrgan Posts: 240member
    Oh wait, I know. Spend two days looking for cracks and hacks instead of spending $30 on QT Pro.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

Oh wait, I know. Spend two days looking for cracks and hacks instead of spending $30 on QT Pro.

Some people think their time is worth nothing (and maybe it is), but they are usually PC users. (Was it not "PC" of me to say that?)
  • Reply 5 of 7
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OM2 View Post

and there's absolutely *no way* of just going through the temp files?

how do they do it?

do they encrypt or something?

No, more like Apple is smarter than that. There is no encryption, they just source it in a way that you can't hack their servers to download it very easily. If you look at the source and try to download it from there, you'll end up with nothing.

If you try Apple+Option+a in Safari you won't be able to find the file at all, like you would on Youtube. It's just not there, or so well hidden that you can't find it from looking at the source.

Sebastian
  • Reply 6 of 7
    "Oh wait, I know. Spend two days looking for cracks and hacks instead of spending $30 on QT Pro."

another mac fan.

i think u miss my point.

and my reply was split into 2:

1. is there noway of getting at the files without qt pro?

2. how do they do it?

not because i want to hack: but because i'd like to know how they do it. i'm actually developing a website for a client where we'll be selling videos. and wanted to know what methods they sue to encrypt their videos - assuming they do this.

one more thing i would say about what seems t be most mac users point of view: pc is not evil!

mac is better: this does not make pc bad.

i'm over the moon at having discovered the world of mac - but heck... let's help the other side see the light as well!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

No, more like Apple is smarter than that. There is no encryption, they just source it in a way that you can't hack their servers to download it very easily. If you look at the source and try to download it from there, you'll end up with nothing.

If you try Apple+Option+a in Safari you won't be able to find the file at all, like you would on Youtube. It's just not there, or so well hidden that you can't find it from looking at the source.

Sebastian

i dont necessarily think they're 'that' clever.

if u save a page that has one of their quicktime movies, then unlike most other web pages, you don't get a copy of the quicktime file.

instead you get a small quicktime file.

what i suspect they do is use the small file to call the bigger file, with their encyption method.

i think they have implemented this fairly recently - within the last 12 months at least.

i remember downloading the first mac tv ads to my pc... doing so by saving the pages with the quicktime movies.