in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Yann Le Coroller has proposed this Mac Tablet design

www.yankodesign.com

Just need Multi touch version and it would be super cool

Don't think steve like pens

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It's alright, but I would hate to have that wide picture frame support on the back... and the chicklet style keyboard wouldn't fly with me.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    The "kickstand" design isn't going to work. For the perfect setup of tablet pc and keyboard see Motion Computing.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motion Computing

Doubles as a snap-on travel keyboard and mini-dock for seamless performance in any environment.

Not bad, but I think Apple will do better.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    david_ocdavid_oc Posts: 90member
    The iPhone IS the Apple tablet. I know it doesn't have all the apps yet, but as software like Google Docs and Spreadsheets get developed, it will become ever more powerful. Remember, Adobe have announced an online version of PS. There's little advantage to online apps, beyond cooperation, when there are more powerful desktop versions, but with iPhone accessibility, the possibilities are endless.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by david_oc View Post

The iPhone IS the Apple tablet. I know it doesn't have all the apps yet, but as software like Google Docs and Spreadsheets get developed, it will become ever more powerful. Remember, Adobe have announced an online version of PS. There's little advantage to online apps, beyond cooperation, when there are more powerful desktop versions, but with iPhone accessibility, the possibilities are endless.

That statement is ridiculous IMO.

iPhone is not a tablet. It's a phone. An online version of PS will not edit photos, or raw photos fast enough for a professional photographer, nor will it be fast enough for an artist. Needless to say you'll need all your apps running for it to be considered a tablet. it's totally underpowered compared to a real tablet. It's also far to small to be taken seriously as a tablet. And thats the start of this argument. There are probably over 50 more good reasons an iPhone is no where near a tablet it's not even worth my time to discuss it.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    rich-mysterrich-myster Posts: 771member
    Quote:

wow ...
  • Reply 7 of 15
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

iPhone is not a tablet. It's a phone. An online version of PS will not edit photos, or raw photos fast enough for a professional photographer, nor will it be fast enough for an artist. Needless to say you'll need all your apps running for it to be considered a tablet. it's totally underpowered compared to a real tablet. It's also far to small to be taken seriously as a tablet. And thats the start of this argument. There are probably over 50 more good reasons an iPhone is no where near a tablet it's not even worth my time to discuss it.

Not that the iPhone is a tablet, but that its the "APPLE tablet," notice his careful choice of words. In a perfect Steve world, tablet PCs as we know them would not exist and we would have desktops, notebooks, or iPhone-like devices. He has stated that Tablets are not practical as long as they can't fit into a shirt pocket, hence the absence of any Apple touch device larger than the iPhone. Unless Steve changes his strongly held personal opinions (which would be hard to have happen since this is a fundamental part of his vision on what computers are destined to do/be) we won't see a mac tablet except it fits in a shirt pocket: iPhone is born.

P.S. - Don't worry, I have a feeling the productivity will surely come to it. (iWork/Leopard integration, etc.)
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

Not that the iPhone is a tablet, but that its the "APPLE tablet," notice his careful choice of words. In a perfect Steve world, tablet PCs as we know them would not exist and we would have desktops, notebooks, or iPhone-like devices. He has stated that Tablets are not practical as long as they can't fit into a shirt pocket, hence the absence of any Apple touch device larger than the iPhone. Unless Steve changes his strongly held personal opinions (which would be hard to have happen since this is a fundamental part of his vision on what computers are destined to do/be) we won't see a mac tablet except it fits in a shirt pocket: iPhone is born.

P.S. - Don't worry, I have a feeling the productivity will surely come to it. (iWork/Leopard integration, etc.)

I don't think SJ ever said anything about tablets; recently anyway, and if he suddenly did speak against them at WWDC it would be about as important as when he said **"VIdeo iPods are not going to happen, and flash based MP3 players? we have no plans on releasing one". With the strong sergeancy of a need for an Apple tablet from consumers after seeing the iPhone; I think it's likely Apple has, and probably has had, Tablet concepts laying around Apple for some time. If anything Apple will give the tablet a whole new range compared to what existing PC tablets are expected to do today. But nevertheless I think a Mac based Tablet notebook is just a matter of time.

**not an actual word for word quotation.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:

I don't think SJ ever said anything about tablets; recently anyway, and if he suddenly did speak against them at WWDC it would be about as important as when he said **"VIdeo iPods are not going to happen, and flash based MP3 players? we have no plans on releasing one". With the strong sergeancy of a need for an Apple tablet from consumers after seeing the iPhone; I think it's likely Apple has, and probably has had, Tablet concepts laying around Apple for some time. If anything Apple will give the tablet a whole new range compared to what existing PC tablets are expected to do today. But nevertheless I think a Mac based Tablet notebook is just a matter of time.

**not an actual word for word quotation.

I have recently looked into the quote again and realize that I was mixing two quotes on the tablet idea and the Apple phone idea. Here's the original from the International Herald Tribune interview:

"In September 2002, he made a similar public statements expressing doubts about the Tablet form factor. We're not sure the tablet PC will be successful. It's turned into a notebook that you can write on. Do you want to handwrite all your e-mail? We have all the technology ourselves to do that - we just don't know whether it will be successful

When questioned about the iPhone in the same NIH meeting, he described the convergence of computing and phones and said that product would "have to fit in your shirt pocket, and be better than either a phone or a computer by itself."

Take that for what it's worth. Keep in mind, however, that Bill Gates thinks that the tablet is the future, which is almost reason enough for Steve to not like the idea at all.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Actually, the future mac sub notebook is more likely to be the tablet.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

A Tablet is not a replacement for a desktop or laptop. A tablet is best used as a data collection/storage/info-exchange device. I agree with the concept that iPhone is the perfect tablet. It fits in your pocket and it's with you at all times. The iPhone will become your digital communicator as well as a tool that will enable you to send, receive and edit data on the fly. Of course it's ridiculous to think the iPhone will be able to edit photos using a full version of Photoshop, but I do see it having basic photo editing functions.

Edited to ad this:

The iPhone could very well evolve into a remote, by this I mean it would be able to interact with applications located elsewhere in a server or even remotely accessing your very own computer to edit/send/read files. That's the ultimate tablet.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

I have recently looked into the quote again and realize that I was mixing two quotes on the tablet idea and the Apple phone idea. Here's the original from the International Herald Tribune interview:

"In September 2002, he made a similar public statements expressing doubts about the Tablet form factor. We're not sure the tablet PC will be successful. It's turned into a notebook that you can write on. Do you want to handwrite all your e-mail? We have all the technology ourselves to do that - we just don't know whether it will be successful

When questioned about the iPhone in the same NIH meeting, he described the convergence of computing and phones and said that product would "have to fit in your shirt pocket, and be better than either a phone or a computer by itself."

Take that for what it's worth. Keep in mind, however, that Bill Gates thinks that the tablet is the future, which is almost reason enough for Steve to not like the idea at all.

"In September 2002, <--- That says enough for me right there.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    jimurbanjimurban Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bevos View Post

Yann Le Coroller has proposed this Mac Tablet design

www.yankodesign.com

Just need Multi touch version and it would be super cool

Don't think steve like pens

Why wait for a concept machine to be developed(if it ever is)?

Just get yourself one of these--->
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ModBook/
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimUrban View Post

Why wait for a concept machine to be developed(if it ever is)?

Just get yourself one of these--->
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ModBook/

Because if it doesn't have a keyboard it better do a lot more than just that. If Apple did develop a Tablet without a keyboard it better be 2X as versatile as a Convertible Tablet/Laptop or it's not worth doing.

Using new flash drives; maybe in conjunction with mini hard drives (iPod size) I think Apple could easily develop a convertible tablet that wasn't thick as a brick and really freak people out.

Because I still need a workstation. A Laptop and a tablet one or the other just isn't that attractive to me. But if it was two in one... I'd get it, along with a workstation. , but if it's one or the other I'll just buy one workstation. Because a laptop, or a tablet just isn't enough, and neither alone really spark my interest.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Don't forget that Steve also said Apple would never have anything to do with television. Of course, that was before the iTunes store started selling TV shows and the AppleTV came along.