Brand new iMac drops partition.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

My wife?s new iMac (Intel, 2.33, 3m, 750 g) worked brilliantly for two weeks. Then I scheduled it to shut down at night. The next morning when she started it, she got a folder with a question mark.

The Apple tech ran it through tests ect...

Found nothing wrong and repartitioned it wiping the data.

So, I have never encountered this before. Are other iMacs having this problem?

What is to prevent this from re-occurring at any time. I have many more Macs and they seem reliable. I have seen PC hard drives become corrupt, but this happens gradually.

I have had drives in Macs crash, but they have physical damage. This appears to have been purely a software failure.

I tried to ask for advice and theories on the Apple forum but they remove my question.

Thanks in advance for any advice and theories.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guyinthewoodlands View Post

Hello,

My wife?s new iMac (Intel, 2.33, 3m, 750 g) worked brilliantly for two weeks. Then I scheduled it to shut down at night. The next morning when she started it, she got a folder with a question mark.

The Apple tech ran it through tests ect...

Found nothing wrong and repartitioned it wiping the data.

So, I have never encountered this before. Are other iMacs having this problem?

What is to prevent this from re-occurring at any time. I have many more Macs and they seem reliable. I have seen PC hard drives become corrupt, but this happens gradually.

I have had drives in Macs crash, but they have physical damage. This appears to have been purely a software failure.

I tried to ask for advice and theories on the Apple forum but they remove my question.

Thanks in advance for any advice and theories.

OK, I got juicer and tryed to retrieve our Disney pictures from the iPod. Apprently the pictures never made it to the iPod. My iMac came with the additional feature of a flawed factory load. Thanks for the lost memories Apple. I now use SuperDuper to keep a mirror of the hard drive and backup the full images to the ipod.

Because of their cult like following, being Apple means never having to say they are sorry. But they are SORRY, you know.